Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Grub

House Sparrows and European Starlings are the cause of declines in many native species of birds. They outcompete other birds for cavity space. Also they are responsible for killing many baby birds, as Lorax as so graphically shown us. It is standard practice for Bluebird nest monitors to practice both active and passive control of house sparrows and starling when they invade nest boxes.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I could not kill an English House Sparrow or a European Starling if my life depended on it. I've tried. I can't pull the trigger. I'm not naive. I know what they do. Kudos to those who can break their necks or shoot them. If it wasn't for those strong enough to do something about these birds we wouldn't have any bluebirds or purple martins left and of that I am convinced. It wasn't until conscientious birders began actively controlling house sparrows that bluebird and purple martin numbers began to rebound. I don't find this Randy Cohen to be mistaken, he flat out did a disservice to that woman and everyone who reads his column by pushing his own sunshine and rainbows agenda. I'm a naturalist. I wish he would have interviewed me. My husband is the birder in this house. He lays on the kitchen counter on his belly and shoots them out the window. More power to him and everyone else who can humanely destroy these birds. It needs to be done for the sake of our cavity nesters or else our children and grandchildren will be viewing "nature" out of a picture book just like they view dodo birds out of picture books. Time in and time out the same scenario of nestlings being killed by these English house sparrows is played out and the house sparrows have the distinct advantage over our native species. Like it or not, we're going to have to choose. We can't have both cavity nesters and English house sparrows.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Rock Star

When I saw Randy Cohens column "The Ethicist" about removing house sparrows I knew there was a potential firestorm brewing because of his answer. I don't think he did the necessary research on this one and gave a generalized answer but I do read his column regularly and think if he receives enough mail on his answer with clear, reasoned arguments backed by facts he will at least note the new information in his column. I've read adjustments and changes to his answers in the past and think this would be an excellent opportunity if enough of us write to get the whole story out to the general public. I certainly would have agreed with his answer before I read about the real damage the HOSP cause native birds. So all the people who are truley knowledgeable start writing!
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
When I saw Randy Cohens column "The Ethicist" about removing house sparrows I knew there was a potential firestorm brewing because of his answer. I don't think he did the necessary research on this one and gave a generalized answer but I do read his column regularly and think if he receives enough mail on his answer with clear, reasoned arguments backed by facts he will at least note the new information in his column. I've read adjustments and changes to his answers in the past and think this would be an excellent opportunity if enough of us write to get the whole story out to the general public. I certainly would have agreed with his answer before I read about the real damage the HOSP cause native birds. So all the people who are truley knowledgeable start writing!
Agreed entirely! Please, everyone who is knowlegable, do write to Randy. He listens to reason. He has taken the time to answer an e-mail I've sent him before, and he has on at least one occasion run a column making corrections to his previous answers. Please don't give up before you try.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Grub

He doesn't give a final opinion; he lets his interviewees make the conclusions. He's probably afraid someone from PETA will throw blood on him.
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

If that's letting the reader make a conclusion I'd hate to see him make the conclusion for the reader. Has anyone received a reply from this Randy Cohen?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
WG Staff

Has anyone received a reply from Mr. Cohen?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Salamander

Not me, but I didn't expect one. I asked him how much he knew about birds.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Don't feel bad. I didn't get a reply either. I was polite but respectfully requested that he seriously consider "doing his homework a little better" the next time he wrote an article like that for the sake of the tens of thousands of native species being senselessly slaughtered that have no voice.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
WG Staff

Did anyone else contact Mr. Cohen?

Tags
bird, bird house, birds, bluebird houses, bluebird predators, bluebirdkeepers, bluebirds, comments, european starlings, house sparrows, native birds, needed, non native birds, predators, sparrows, starlings