Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #21
Unicellular Fungi

For those of you who do like the squirrels coming around and would like to do them a favor: I accidentally discovered that they crave anything calcium-rich to chew on when I hung an old pair of deer antlers in a tree. Now there are two pairs of antlers out there, plus a collection of horse bones (mustang from Nevada) and every squirrel in the neighborhood comes around once a day for a quick chew. I don't know if they are getting a calcium supplement, sharpening their teeth, or both -- but they are very eager about it! You want something either too big for them to carry off, or wired down, and older, starting to soften, seems to be preferred over new.
birdwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #22
Heron

I will try that. I happened to have an antler in my car right now.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #23
Carbon

Hi all! Last winter was my first winter for making suet, and will definitely do it again this year. My recipe is the same as yours using Crisco, Lorax, except the Starlings go crazy for it -- maybe it's because there can literally be hundreds in our yards at one time here? I'd send my daughter outside each time the Starlings attacked the feeder. Not much trouble with the squirrels, so that was a good thing.
IndianaLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #24
Carbon

My recipe is very similar. The birds really love peanut butter. After making several batches the birds finally finished off the last before I could make more. My wife went to the local store and bought some commercially made suet cakes. Whereas mine usually last about four days (two if starlings are around), the commercially-produced ones are only half eaten today and they've been out for nine days now. The birds at my feeder that eat the suet are chickadees, blue-jays, starlings, downy&hairy woodpeckers and red-bellied woodpeckers.
FLNPSwebmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
WG Facilitator

I have a bag of squirrel in my freezer, but haven't been brave enough to cook it yet. Hubby didn't keep track of whether this was one of the bags with the head still in it or not, and I'm not thrilled about my food looking back at me . . . .
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
Unicellular Fungi

Peanut butter most certainly attracts them. I love adding peanut butter. I do have a hard time finding the unsalted peanut butter. When I find it, I buy it in bulk.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #27
Fox

We gave up on trying to beat the squirrels. Now we are learning to co-exist with them. We employ baffles on most of our feeders and for the squirrels we provide corn cobs and squirrel blocks on bungees. I think the bungees are more for our amusement than the squirrels. For the most part the squirrels don't mess with the feeders because they have their own food.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
WG Staff

Default Suet Recipes

Suet Recipes
Shaw Creek Bird Supply

http://www.shawcreekbirdsupply.com/suet_recipes.htm
8 recipes available
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #29
Grub

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a pansy - tried making it once and the smell of the fat melting was enough to make me nauseous . . . so I watch for sales on the pre-made stuff
TimSaupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
Unicellular Fungi

Ah yes, the horrid smell of melting lard. It permeates our home when we make suet and lingers for a week. Were you aware Crisco could be substituted in any recipe?

Tags
bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird food, bird suet, birds, blue jays, chickadees, downy woodpecker, feeding birds, hairy woodpecker, how to, how to make bird suet, make bird suet, make suet, red bellied woodpecker, suet, suet feeder, suet feeders, suet ingredients, suet making, suet recipe, suet recipes, woodpecker, woodpeckers