Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Big Fat juicy WORM

I'll see if I can find the recipe, it was my Mothers. And yes, you can fry it too, just make sure it's well cleaned.....bread it out and I always use a little cooking sherry and water in the last 15 minutes to steam it. The sherry seems to take out any "gamey" taste. Good stuff. You can do rabbit the same way.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Heron

Well, I certainly am not going to shoot a hungry critter that has come to food that I put out, but that's just IMO.

Be careful of how much protein you put in your suet...birds can get gout.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

Me, I try to deter them. We jump through hoops to keep them out of the suet because when they drag it into the woods where they eat what they can then leave the rest for raccoons to feast upon. It is too expensive to make when it is being dragged off daily.

Our squirrel population is under control because of the hawks. Many of us up north eat rabbit, although not so much squirrel. It seems to be more of a southern dish.

I'm ok with it if they're going to be eaten and if they are humanely killed in season.

What I find disturbing is when people create habitat for actual North American wildlife then kill what comes to partake of the feast. That is most disturbing. I can not count how many people intentionally poison or set jaw type traps out for squirrels, and other wildlife, just for trying to eek out an existence.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
Lungwort

I love watching the squirrels, I just wish they would leave my bulbs alone! LOL
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

Yes, we enjoy them also. They are indigenous to my area and are a great food source for all the hawks around here.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
Big Fat juicy WORM

I did locate a Squirrel recipe and posted it. I'm still hunting for my Mother's original. Perhaps I'll run across her recipe for German Saurabraten using venison.
I haven't had much chance to use a lot of her excellent game recipes, since moving out here, it's not "safe" to do the kind of hunting I grew up with. Booze and guns don't mix! But growing up in NE, I started hunting with my dad and mom when I was about 10. I finally inherited her single 410 shotgun, when she developed eye problems and could no longer see to hunt pheasant, they're way fast!! I have wonderful memories of those times. My parents were farm folk and I was taught both gun safety and never kill anything unless you are going to eat it! Wild game, properly dressed out and prepared is a wonderful treat!
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Carbon

I made suet before. We poured in plastic baggies and let it get hard then put them is onion bags. They are very good for the birds.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
Heron

A recently departed great ornithologist that I knew (god rest his soul) would just slap a hunk of crisco on to the bark of a tree. If its cold enough, it will freeze there and the birds will eat it. The vegetarian alternative.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
Rock Star

Well, there is very little wildlife in the suburbs so even though I don't appreciate the squirrels stealing the suet and pulling them down some of the squirrels in the yard even have names.

The photo is of Shorty named for his shortened tail.

Good suggestions Chomp and joepyeweed.
I haven't bought Crisco for years but I guess that will change. It can't get any easier than slapping some on the trees. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
There is a chill in the air- it's suet making time-img_3931.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

I successfully beat the squirrels with a bird feeder on top of a six-foot galvanized pole. At first I though the pole alone would do it, but they quickly learned to patty-cake up it and then swing into the feeder. So I put a rat-guard device of sheet metal around the pole, like the ones they use on ship's mooring lines. That stopped them for a while, but they learned to get around it. So I put a larger diameter rat-guard up and that stopped them permanently.

I have taken to only putting food out when there is snow on the ground, otherwise they become too dependent and lazy -- as bad for them as it is for humans.
birdwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird feeder, bird feeders, bird food, bird suet, birds, blue jays, chickadees, downy woodpecker, feeding birds, hairy woodpecker, how to, how to make bird suet, make bird suet, make suet, red bellied woodpecker, suet, suet feeder, suet feeders, suet ingredients, suet making, suet recipe, suet recipes, woodpecker, woodpeckers