Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Raining Robins (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2422-raining-robins.html)

Equilibrium 06-14-2009 10:09 PM

Raining Robins

1 Attachment(s)
Most people end up with bird poop on their head when they're underneath birds. Not me. I end up with baby robins on my head. Whoosh, freefall, down they all came one after the next spilling out of their nest and hitting my head, shoulders, and back. Kerplunk, plop, and splat. Shocked the heck out of me. While bending over to connect a hose to a rainbarrel, I started getting pelted by something. Could not figure out what was hitting me. I stood up and they fell off of me onto the ground. I guess I sort of broke their fall. Mom was really yelling at me. They're tucked away safely in another Robin's nest from last year in a hawthorn tree. We're staying away until she stops freaking out. They can't be more than a few days away from fledging.

havalotta 06-14-2009 10:22 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwww.
You are right about the bird poop though. I was talking to a neighbor before we moved, (one of those prissy kinds) and all of a sudden a warm goo plopped onto me and spread down my face. I looked up and here there was a bird perched overhead on the power line. I kept my composure and politely announced "You'll have to excuse me for a bit":eek:

Equilibrium 06-14-2009 10:28 PM

My best friend is one of those prissy types. You did better than me. I would have been running for a spigot to stick my whole face under water without saying one word as I dashed off. I honestly thought it was kids pelting me with clumps of mud as a joke until I realized there were no kids around. That's sort of what it felt like. They didn't hurt. More startling.

havalotta 06-14-2009 10:54 PM

Well I'm glad they didn't get hurt boinking around.

Dirty Knees 06-16-2009 06:24 PM

I didn't know robins could be put in another bird's nest.

Equilibrium 06-16-2009 11:49 PM

Initial thoughts were to buy chicken wire and fence them in to keep them from becoming a dietary supplement to cats and coyotes until I remembered there was an old nest out back and another one out front. I went looking for the old nest. I knew about where it was from seeing it over winter. It looked stable enough so I dropped them in one by one. She went to them. I've also moved nests with birds still in them. There has been intense flooding in this area in the past 10 years. There is so much buckthorn that birds are nesting in it. The buckthorns closest to to the river aren't mature. When the flood waters started coming in and they predicted a rise of another 3', I went and moved whole nests up above where the water would be. Some I moved up in the same tree and others I moved into new trees close by. Most of the birds would have been dead. The river rose 5' the year I did that. They are best left alone but sometimes the situation dictates then need to be relocated. The moms will find them.

Dirty Knees 06-24-2009 04:49 PM

How are the robins doing that you moved?

biigblueyes 06-24-2009 04:52 PM

Wow - having birds splatting on you WOULD be startling!

BooBooBearBecky 06-24-2009 06:25 PM

E-
I'm so touched by your gesture of kindness for moving all those bird nests before they got washed away in a flood.

So you see it's really karma. When all the little Robin birdies fell out of their nest, they knew exactly who to fall on.:D

BooBooBearBecky

gbreadman 06-24-2009 09:55 PM

I thought robins take the baby poop in their mouth and drop it somewhere else...a trick to fool the predator. It makes the predators smell it in a different area.

Most times I've seen large fledglings being fed, the next thing they do is raise their butt and mama gets rid of the crap. Evolution in progress there? Survival of the least-poopiest?

One time I saw a robin take an egg out of the nest and come back with the remains, and feed it to the chicks. Not sure if that was a cowbird egg or what.

Dan