Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I agree, extremely long... he lost me a few times, though. Especially at the end.

Quote:
Most of us don’t want to kill a swan.
Those few who do are the ones establishing wildlife policy for North America, and they are basing it all on exaggerations, lies, hyperbole, fear-mongering, and utter nonsense. That’s how the system works.

Some of his statements about eel grass make it obvious that he doesn't live in Maryland. This kind of bugged me too: "a species that is well beloved by so many people", as if it were a justification to abide the damage swans do in the Bay. Lots of the "so many people" have no clue what's going on and wouldn't know a mute swan from a trumpeter swan if it goosed them, let alone know whether it's a native or exotic species.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

BINGO... he's from Canada. Supposedly he's an avian fan and that includes English house sparrows, pigeons, and starlings and... he's a bird artist and bird illustrator but I've read where he says he's a naturalist but then I've read where he says he's not a scientist but wanted to be and couldn't because of some illness when he was a kid??? You'd have to look that one up... He's right out there in left field with Rod Coronado. This is no Rob Fegus writing about Mute swans here... that's for sure. I don't think this guy acknowledges the difference between native and non-native... and invasive isn't exactly in his vocabulary... they're "all God's creatures". I first read some of his "interesting" opinions at this site, Animal Liberation Front. He's a member of All-Creatures... get a load of their Mission Statement, Animal Alliance of Canada which works closely or something like that with the Humane Society of the US, and probably has to be a member of ALF to be posting at their site, Animal Liberation Front - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Get a load of this, Die, intruder! -- OrlandoSentinel.com Die Intruder Die, "You vote for taking the egg out? Me too…. Let's get rid of the cowbirds, and while we're at it, if one sharp-shinned hawk eats only one warbler, wren, vireo, phoebe or other small and lovely little bird a day, by shooting a mated pair of Sharpies we can save … let's see now … wow … something like 720 small birds per year….
Barry Kent MacKay
Markham, Ontario, Canada
And there I thought I had joined a birding group, how bloody naive of me!"
I'll give him credit for heightening awareness of fatal light but... that's about as far as I'll go.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 AM   #23
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Maybe he was being sarcastic about killing sharp-shinned hawks? I can't tell.

I could understand if cowbird eggs are removed from nests of threatened or endangered species. I wonder if that is an issue for fishlkmich. They're probably easier to exclude from a nest box than house sparrows.

I have no problem whatsoever with removing (whatever it takes) mute swans from the Bay. I don't think anyone "want(s) to kill a swan", as MacKay puts it.
But it certainly is easier to raise people's hackles getting rid of fuzzy fluffy invasive animals than it is with plants - and God knows some people won't let go of their favorite non-native invasive plant. People can be blinded by a good-intentioned respect for life and living things that won't let them see the big picture, whether it's birth control or lawn weeds.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

That comment of his was an out and out slam to anyone suggesting cowbird eggs or HOSPs be destroyed. You'd have to read more of his writings... google him. His posts at the ALF site will be enough to make fire come out your nostrils and both ears. If you read enough of him you'll start wishing you could duct tape him to a chair and force him to watch a video clip of HOSPs pecking out the eyeballs and skulls of blue birds and purple martins. His writings will have that effect on you. And no, we humans don't like to kill anything. Few people are able to stomach destroying their bradford pear or burning bush and even fewer can stomach destroying a Mute Swan... or a HOSP or a EUST.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
WG Facilitator

I don't kill animals except for food. I don't have any problems with someone else doing it. I'll just leave while you do it.

I know some species need to be controlled. I'm very appreciative for the folks who don't have a problem doing it. It just won't be me.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

I'm from the farms and I couldn't kill an animal for food. I can't hunt either. I can't even kill a Mute Swan even though I've been patiently taught how to humanely destroy them at least 10x. I know these species need to be controlled but no way will it be me killing them either. I can kill plants no sweat... I'll destroy Mute Swan and HOSP eggs without batting an eyelash... I can call animal control to pick up feral cats I know they'll put down without losing sleep at night but... there is no way I could stomach killing a live healthy animal. There was only one time I was able to kill an animal and... that was after we hit the deer with our car. We were teenagers. The deer was in horrible condition trickling blood from every orifice with what I now know were compound fractures. We all knew it wouldn't live more than a few hours on the ground. I begged my date to put it out of its misery. He wouldn't. I begged my girlfriend's date. He wouldn't. I took the tire iron out of the trunk and I killed it. That was the end of the double date. I think all of us who love animals will kill... when we're left with no one to turn to to do it for us. I'm thankful there are people who can humanely destroy invasive species that threaten and destroy native species too... too bad I'm not one of them. I wish I had the spine to do what I know is right but I don't... and probably never will.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
Heron

Quote:
If you read enough of him you'll start wishing you could duct tape him to a chair and force him to watch a video clip of HOSPs pecking out the eyeballs and skulls of blue birds and purple martins.
I wonder how he'd feel if he had leeks, ticks or other parasites. Would he consider them "all God's creatures" and offer his own body as a host?

Equil I think that would quality for worlds worst date!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

I dunno... I'm pretty sure this Barry Kent MacKay is an ALF member and that says it all. They don't exactly value human life over an animal life. That wasn't the world's worst date... I had one that was worse but this date did get stuck cleaning puke out of the car... mine... my heart isn't exactly bleeding for him over that one.

Tags
animal rights advocates, cygnus olor, exotics, invasive, invasive fauna, invasive species, invasives, mute swan, national wildlife refuge, species