Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
WG Facebook Administrator

Default Do those window decals really work?

I've seen window decals on sale before that advertise their ability to keep away birds. Does anyone have experience or links to studies showing that they actually work? This year so far, sadly, we've had three birds end their lives on our windowpanes, which has never happened before that I can recall. This last time, I was nearby, and it seemed to me that some house sparrows were harassing the victim, a species I couldn't identify (but then I only know about a dozen bird species). I don't know whether the sparrows are actually trying to drive other birds into the windows, but they certainly never end up on them themselves, despite living all around, so I expect this is another unfair competitive advantage for these European immigrants.

But anyway, I appreciate any & all thoughts. I will probably get them anyway, just in case, but I am curious as to what people think.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Streamers work well enough for me. The littlest of breeze sends them swaying which reflects in the glass. I have neighbors who swear by the decals. Sadly, I don't know that either would deter a bird from crashing into a window if it's in flight for life mode from a predator.

There is one product that is supposed to work even when a bird is in the flight for life mode. It's a film that is now commercially available. Would you be interested in information on that product to review before making a decision?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #3

Sure, might as well! Do the streamers tend to block the view from the window at all?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

They don't block the view. They hang. I posted a photo somewhere. Mine look like bicycle handle streamers. They create reflections in the glass from wind currents.

If you are going to go with decals, try the life size decals of hawks and owls. The small decals I tried did little for us.

http://www.collidescape.citymax.com/page/page/6049375.htm
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What about the curled iridescent ribbons they sell for presents?
I cut a hawk photo out of a kite and hung it in my window. It works great! No more dead phoebes.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

The little store bought decals did not work. They flew into areas of the glass that didn't have a decal.

That's a wonderful idea to make a decal out of a kite. They have them in all kinds of birds of prey and Mickey Mouse also. I'd most likely go with trying to make my own first.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #7

Boy, these are a bit pricey, when I think about doing all my windows. Maybe self-printing is the way to go. I'm not crafty at all, though. Maybe a task for the wife, if she accedes to it.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Can't you buy those plastic kites for like $2.49 a piece at WalMart to try one to see if it would work?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Can't you buy those plastic kites for like $2.49 a piece at WalMart to try one to see if it would work?
Worth a shot! I wonder whether that would be enough with a large window, though. And it still seems to me that it would adversely affect the view, but we'll see...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You can also cut out silhouettes of big birds (not from sesame street) and hang from fishing line inside to move like a mobile.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird behavior, bird collisions, bird fatalities, birds, birds hit windows, birdstrike, birdstrike prevention, collidescape, collidescape window, decals, window, window decals, work