Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #31
Heron

No hurry. Wait until you come back.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #32
WG Facebook Administrator

OK, here we go... For some reason straight lines look like wavy ones in the photos, but hopefully they give the idea. The first two pics are from the inside, and the last from the outside. (Edit: The 2nd picture uses a flash, so it gives an overly optimistic view of the amount of light coming into the room. The 1st pic, however, is back-lit, so it gives an overly pessimistic view of the same.)
Attached Thumbnails
Do those window decals really work?-interior1.jpg   Do those window decals really work?-interior2.jpg   Do those window decals really work?-exterior.jpg  
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

Your photos are good. I thought the advertising at their site was good... too good. Seeing what you have tells me they weren't doctoring up their photos to get a sale. My photo is bad. I took it real quick. I have 3 of these accent windows. All of them are around 10' off the ground and all of them are about 5' wide by around maybe 3'. I have another one of these accent windows in the front of the house that is about 6' wide by around 3.5' high, an assortment of transom accent type windows, and one mega accent window over the front door and side lights. I leave screens up year round on lower windows, I have streamers attached to the outside frames of upper transoms, we stopped cleaning outer windows, we added stained glass panels to all of the accent windows... but... my husband made me take down the kites and masking tape I had in big X's on the accent windows in the front of the house... he said it looked really bad... so we're getting a few hits. I want it to stop. It makes me sick when so much as one bird hits one of those accent windows. My questions are> can this film be cut to shape easily on the ground then trimmed after it's in place and would we need to rent scaffolding to put this up or could it be done from two ladders? What you have looks like exactly what we need for all the accent windows that don't have screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Do those window decals really work?-crime-scene1.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #34

They are designed for cutting with a razorblade. It wasn't difficult to cut a straight line to get rid of an extra inch of material that we didn't need. Cutting a curve would probably be a bit more difficult. Our window starts about 10' above the ground, and we just stood on chairs to put it up. I think this kind of thing would work well on accent windows, because they're not there for looking through.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #35
Heron

Hey! I see joepyeweed out your window! Nice.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

Cuts with a razor blade... good. Shouldn't be much harder than putting up wallpaper then. Is this film applied to the inside of the window or to the outside of the window? Our foundation is 3' out of the ground. No way are we going to be able to reach those windows on chairs if this is applied outside and I don't think our ladders would get us up that high. That would put the base of some of the accent windows at 13' from ground level up to 16' and even higher for the two largest accent windows. We have 12' first floor ceiling height in some rooms, 14' in others and vaulted in others. This looks like scaffolding rental time.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #37

Yeah, you apply it on the outside, I'm afraid!

Tags
bird, bird behavior, bird collisions, bird fatalities, birds, birds hit windows, birdstrike, birdstrike prevention, collidescape, collidescape window, decals, window, window decals, work