Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
WG Facilitator

Are you discriminating against big goofy birds? What do you have against a 6' tall fluffy fluorescent yellow bird hanging in your living room?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

By a rope?
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Lungwort

We all but never have birds hit the windows that have screens. I do remember a cardinal hitting one of the dining room windows, but he quickly got back up. I'm thinking he didn't hit hard, and maybe the screen helped cushion the blow.
The only window that doesn't have a screen is the big one by the tub in the bathroom. Since we put Venetians over it they seem to know it's there now, too. They don't block the view much.
I know, picture window over the jettub, what kinda exhibitionist? But really, we have no neighbors, it's on the second floor, there are thick trees right outside. Admittedly, more than a few possums have hurt themselves laughing....
Good luck, WM
williamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
WG Facebook Administrator

I think that's the problem. We have two big picture windows, one in the front and one in the back. Two of the three kills happened on the picture window in the back.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

If two windows line up in the home they think they can fly through the area! Poor things.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

That sounds like you hit it on the nose. Two windows back to back would create the illusion they can fly through. Have you thought about mini blinds on one of those picture windows?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
WG Facebook Administrator

The windows actually can't be seen from each other, fortunately. One of them does have curtains that are closed much of the time (and no bird has ever hit that one), but the other one doesn't have any treatments.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
Heron

The decals work but you have to have a bunch of them. The birdstrike prevention list says the decals must cover 80% of the window surface to work.

I've seen very large frosted window clings - like 2' x 4' for sale at flea markets. They have different designs, like flowers, or Santa Claus or sports logos etc.

You can buy full window films that last several years.

There is a nice list of things to prevent window strikes, here:
Preventing Window Strikes
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
Salamander

Sialis is one of my favorite websites. I use the film for our picture window and the two windows on either side. We have 0 window hits.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #20
Carbon

There are also decals of maple leaves available that do work -- we have four feeders and a bird bath and haven't had a window collision death since we installed them.

Before we installed them we had a glassed sunroom and a bay window built and three birds bit the dust in rapid succession. Horrible!

Here's an example of what they look like to birds:

Maple Leaf Window Alert Decals [WA-1] - $5.95

They are also inexpensive ($6-7 for 4 decals) and I found mine at a local Wild Birds Unlimited.

You can't really see through them, but you wind up ignoring them after a while.
Fireflies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird behavior, bird collisions, bird fatalities, birds, birds hit windows, birdstrike, birdstrike prevention, collidescape, collidescape window, decals, window, window decals, work