Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

Staff 05-31-2009 10:48 AM

Hummingbird Photos

Hummingbird photos from any time of year and from any year would be greatly appreciated. If you know which species you have photographed, even better.

biigblueyes 05-31-2009 09:56 PM

If I had ignored hubby's desire for a weed-free garden, we'd still have a pink salvia popping up all over the place and hummingbirds flitting around. . . . no hummers yet this year.

SquirrelFeeder 05-31-2009 11:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK...here are mine...

Equilibrium 05-31-2009 11:37 PM

Do you notice your hummers favoring the red plastic feeder over the black feeder? Nice photos.

TheLorax 06-01-2009 10:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have some photos. They are a few years old.

havalotta 06-01-2009 12:15 PM

Awwww you're lucky. You live in the country?

williamf 06-02-2009 03:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been showing these off for a couple of years.
Ruby Throats.
Good luck, Wm

Equilibrium 06-02-2009 03:56 PM

I once saw photos in an e-mail that circulated of a woman sitting down with hummers coming to her hand. It was awesome. I see your little one is resting on your finger. Most certainly photos to show off!

biigblueyes 06-02-2009 08:16 PM

I'd show that one off too!

Dirty Knees 06-03-2009 05:05 PM

Does anybody have a humzinger with 6 ports? Are they worth the money? The wild bird store has them on sale this week for $5 off.

williamf 06-03-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Knees (Post 23725)
Does anybody have a humzinger with 6 ports? Are they worth the money? The wild bird store has them on sale this week for $5 off.

Most of the time they're too hyper/selfish to take advantage of all four holes on one of ours. If you have a spot and time for a second feeder that would probably push more sugar-water.
Ease of filling and cleaning are what I usually go by. Last year I fell for a couple of really nice looking, decorated glass feeders. Turned out they were made with some sort of glue or paint that even I didn't like the smell when it got wet. One of them is hanging in the kitchen as decoration now, the other, which we had filled, had to be thrown away.
Good luck, Wm

TheLorax 06-03-2009 11:36 PM

Is this the HumZinger you want-
HumZinger Hummingbird Feeders

I have a friend who has one. It is easy to clean. I don't know that it is any better than the hummingbird feeders that are under $10. The perch that goes all the way around looks convenient for them to take a rest.

williamf 06-04-2009 05:08 AM

Oh, I recognize those.
Our aunt has one of the hanging type and one of the window ones at her mountain house that we use every summer. They are easy to work with, and the birds like them. The window one is a favorite; you can near 'bout touch noses with the hummers.
I think for us, here, they wouldn't be practical; later in the summer we get less than two days out of the 42? 48? ounce model in the pictures I posted above.
I'm afraid they'd run out before I got home from work.:)
Good luck, Wm

Staff 06-05-2009 12:29 AM

Even a 16 oz humzinger would be empty when you got home?

williamf 06-05-2009 04:15 AM

We start the year using a sixteen ounce bottle; we're still on it now but in a couple of weeks when we start having to fill it every day we'll switch to the bigger ones.
By August we'll have two two-quart feeders up, one on each side of the porch door. One will need filling every day. When we go to the mountains for a couple of weeks we leave the fridge filled with gallon jugs of four-to-one for the neighbor to stop by every day and fill 'em up. The bossy little buggers keep us hopping.
Good luck, Wm

biigblueyes 06-05-2009 07:36 AM

Wow - the view from your porch must be nice! I guess your place is the hummingbird resort.

TheLorax 06-05-2009 06:33 PM

How many of them do you have visiting you do you think that you go through that much sugar water?

williamf 06-06-2009 02:59 AM

Our usual counting goes,"One, two, three, many,,,," They move around a lot, and they all either look like this or like that.
But seriously, by the time of the season when this year's crop join their parents at the feeder there will be fifteen to twenty in close pretty much all day.
Good luck, Wm

Equilibrium 06-06-2009 05:50 PM

"Our usual counting goes,"One, two, three, many,,,," I'm soooooooooo jealous.

BooBooBearBecky 06-10-2009 12:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Love the hummer photos everyone!:D

Here's mine.

Equilibrium 06-10-2009 09:23 PM

What kind of a hummer do you have there?

BooBooBearBecky 06-10-2009 09:53 PM

E-
I'm not sure what kind of hummingbirds are in my yard, but they sure are fun to watch!

Equilibrium 06-10-2009 10:21 PM

They are little dynamos aren't they.

Green Man 06-14-2009 09:58 PM

Here are some of my prized photos I posted here some time back if anyone is interested:D I took them a couple years ago,

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...n-hummers.html

biigblueyes 06-28-2009 08:43 PM

Nice pictures of the cute little guys, Green Man

rjbman 07-11-2009 12:15 PM

Good plant for hummingbirds

1 Attachment(s)
We've got 3 feeders, and found, especially in hot weather, changing the water/sugar out every 3 or 4 days helps. We also use pipe cleaner to be sure little holes stay clean. When the crocosmia are blooming the hummingbirds love it. Also they like the liatris. Can't seem to grow a butterfly bush (not sure real name). Our soil best suited for growing rocks, so most plants in planters with brought in dirt. Any other good plants for hummingbirds that don't require a lot of area ?

Ron

Equilibrium 07-11-2009 09:52 PM

I've seen them zipping around Monarda of all plants. That's an easy plant to grow.

Quietman 07-31-2009 10:11 PM

We call this little guy "The Hammer"

4 Attachment(s)
Cause he does such a great job of chasing the other hummers away from the feeder!

Quietman

Equilibrium 07-31-2009 10:15 PM

There you go again! Knock down drag out gorgeous. What kind of a camera do you have?

Quietman 07-31-2009 10:27 PM

Nothing special, I don't think (equipment wise)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 32625)
There you go again! Knock down drag out gorgeous. What kind of a camera do you have?

Wow! Thanks for the compliments, but I am trying to do a better job with the hummers!!

I use a Canon Digital Rebel. These particular photos are taken with a 18-200mm lens, and a 420 flash attachment, all mounted on a tripod with a wireless remote.

I want to try my new "L" series, 100-400mm telephoto lens (used on the fox photos here) to see if I can get better shots, but I'll need to up the ISO to something stupid like 800.

Thanks again!

Quiet

Equilibrium 07-31-2009 10:59 PM

What can I say... you wowed me. Can't wait to see what you post when you start getting "better" shots. ;)

rjbman 08-01-2009 10:37 AM

Sniff, sniff, pardon me while i turn green with envy. You have some very very nice
camera equipment. The photos are fantastic. A wireless remote too ? wow. .... uh
excuse me while I put my little nikon coolpix in my pocket and go in search of a picture to take. Thanks again for sharing great photos.

Ron

Staff 08-01-2009 07:03 PM

Thank you for sharing your hummingbird photos Quietman.

Quietman 08-02-2009 06:00 AM

Meet "Mrs. The Hammer"

5 Attachment(s)
This is the female of the Ruby Throated species in my last post:

Attachment 6898

Attachment 6899

Attachment 6900

In these last two, you can see her tongue from drinking the nectar:

Attachment 6901

Attachment 6902

I probably snapped 50 or so shots yesterday to get these. These little guys are areal challenge for me!

Quietman

Equilibrium 08-03-2009 12:11 AM

You're wowing me again. What else do you have or.... are you holding out on everyone until August 31st at like 11pm to add photos. ;)

TheLorax 08-03-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Sniff, sniff, pardon me while i turn green with envy.
Pardon me while I turn green with envy also.

Kyblue 08-03-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Knees (Post 23725)

I do but there is also either one mean or very hungry hummer that thinks that feeder is his alone. He chases off any other hummer that tries to get a drink, it's almost comical to watch him. He wears himself out defending his feeder.

Kyblue 08-04-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 32633)
Wow! Thanks for the compliments, but I am trying to do a better job with the hummers!!

I use a Canon Digital Rebel. These particular photos are taken with a 18-200mm lens, and a 420 flash attachment, all mounted on a tripod with a wireless remote.

I want to try my new "L" series, 100-400mm telephoto lens (used on the fox photos here) to see if I can get better shots, but I'll need to up the ISO to something stupid like 800.

Thanks again!

Quiet

Hi QuiteMan, I have a Canon rebel also with the new tamron 270mm lens. I got it in Nov after years of using film. How do you like the 420 flash? I haven't gotten a flash yet but I need to.

Quietman 08-04-2009 03:49 AM

For humming birds, you don't always need a flash

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyblue (Post 33161)
How do you like the 420 flash? I haven't gotten a flash yet but I need to.

....but it can help!

Hi!

The 420 seems to work OK, they aren't produced anymore. The newer, 430EX is something I haven't looked at yet, or the 580.

The "hot shoe" flash does give me a lot more flexibility than the built in flash (which I use only as a desperate, last resort).

Take care!

Quiet

Kyblue 08-04-2009 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to show this to ya'll. I didn't take it, a good friend of mine did.
Is this cool or what?

Quietman 08-04-2009 04:52 AM

Very cool! Thank you for sharing!!!

Quietman

williamf 08-04-2009 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyblue (Post 33061)
I do but there is also either one mean or very hungry hummer that thinks that feeder is his alone. He chases off any other hummer that tries to get a drink, it's almost comical to watch him. He wears himself out defending his feeder.

I think a second feeder will make a lot more difference than more holes. We put a second one up right around the corner of the porch; it's easy to see both at once, hard for one bully to cover both. It more than doubled the rate we use up sugar this time of year.

Wm

PS The light's not quite right yet for my little finepix this morning.

MaggyNoLia 08-04-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 33163)
The "hot shoe" flash does give me a lot more flexibility than the built in flash (which I use only as a desperate, last resort).

Take care!

Quiet

I've read in some of the various tutorials I've been looking at that your last resort statement is absolutely true. A cameras built-in flash is too harsh of a light for most subjects. The "hot shoe" flash is something I want for my Rebel....but until then I try to take lampshades off in a room or if I need to I have one of those clamp lights that I can bounce off a ceiling.

Quietman 08-04-2009 03:29 PM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia (Post 33238)
I've read in some of the various tutorials I've been looking at that your last resort statement is absolutely true. A cameras built-in flash is too harsh of a light for most subjects. The "hot shoe" flash is something I want for my Rebel....but until then I try to take lampshades off in a room or if I need to I have one of those clamp lights that I can bounce off a ceiling.

The other thing some people overlook is setting your ISO to 400 or 800. I do not notice pronounced "graininess" with my Rebel at those settings, and I can take an indoor pic with no flash. However, candle lit rooms are a challenge doing this. Even at 1600 ISO, the quality is not objectionable.

Quiet

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 33245)
The other thing some people overlook is setting your ISO to 400 or 800. I do not notice pronounced "graininess" with my Rebel at those settings, and I can take an indoor pic with no flash. However, candle lit rooms are a challenge doing this. Even at 1600 ISO, the quality is not objectionable.

Quiet

Now see, I've been so afraid to push the ISO because of the graininess that I try to keep it no more than 200 or so...but hey, now I've learned something else. I'll need to play with the ISO and see what I can do. I need to get back to my tutorials and get past the action shots and lense speed section....

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally found some of my hummer photos.

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more for now

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These pictures I took with my digital spotting scope.

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The hummers have hardly used our feeders this year but they love hanging out by our bottlebrush and palm trees. After taking these shots with my Canon Rebel I learned something...to use a tripod in all my future shots of these little birds. I didn't do that here. Now it looks like I have another self assignment. Get better shots of the hummers with the new camera.

Equilibrium 08-06-2009 11:36 PM

You have some amazing close ups. You're a lucky lady. They must be accustomed to you for you to get in that close.