Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #61
Lungwort

I've left several gallons in the fridge for our helpful neighbor (who thinks we're nuts) to refill the feeders when we're going to be gone for a week or ten days on vacation; I know it'll keep longer than that. Out in the heat it'll go sour and grow mold in a few days, but that's why we invented refrigerators.
Wm
williamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #62
WG Ways and Means

In reference to my photo, at the time there would be as many as 10 swooping at the feeder. They were very noisy almost like they were challenging one another. I was surprised that they were so loud. There were swooping so much it was hard to get a photo. Wish I could have hung around longer and watched them.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
Green Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #63
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
There were swooping so much it was hard to get a photo.
I know what you mean Green Man. Twice in the last week I've gone out back to get some shots of the hummers in the bottle brush and was captivated by the chases. I love it when they stop, pause upright in midair and fan out their tails. It all happens though in the blink of an eye. By the time I caught up to them with my camera they were zooming off again. I'm beginning to think the only way I'm going to get a fanned tail shot is pure luck. They just move too fast.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #64
Salamander

They are so fast. No wonder there aren't so many pictures of them. I don't have a digital camera so I like seeing your hummingbird photos.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #65
Fox

While I find it very frustrating trying to capture a midair dance between two hummers I have been enjoying some of the shots I've gotten of the hummers alone. My first shot is the closest I've come yet to catching a good shot of two in midair. It's also the only one I've gotten.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-08-19-2009-172-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-21-2009-34-.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-21-2009-37-.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-1-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-4-_edited.jpg  

Old 08-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #66
Fox

The hummingbirds love this area of our yard. We have a drainage swale and easement on the left side of our yard. Because this area is always wet we've planted some wax myrtle and some oleander in the swale. Immediately above the swale we have some bottlebrush and palm trees. The hummingbirds as well as many other small birds love this protected area of our property. I'm hoping one day to find the native lemon bottlebrush and add that to our yard. In the meantime, the butterflies and hummingbirds sure seem to enjoy the bottlebrush we have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-5-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-6-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-7-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-8-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-65-.jpg  

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #67
Fox

I've been having fun sitting out back with these little guys. Every now and then one will buzz right by me and one stopped about two feet in front of my face and just looked at me chattering away. The chattering cracks me up.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-69-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-71-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-95-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-08-23-2009-101-_edited.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #68
Salamander

hummer

Wow!

Those are rockin' great photos!!!

I know what you mean about watching them while you try to capture photos. I've spent many a full Saturday morning watching them chase each other around my feeders and flowering bushes. Getting a photo is just the gravy!

Thank you for sharing!!

Quietman
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #69
Official Plant Nerd

MaggyNoLia!!! You're on a roll there! You done good... reeeeeeeeeeal good! You should submit some of those to the Photo of the Month Contest.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 AM   #70
Pope

MaggyNoLia, your photos are incredible. Equilibrium is right--you should be entering contests with these.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, bird feeders, birds, feeder, hummer, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, hummingbirds hummers, migration, nectar, photos