Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #41
Salamander

coyote

Very cool! Thank you for sharing!!!

Quietman
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #42
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyblue View Post
I do but there is also either one mean or very hungry hummer that thinks that feeder is his alone. He chases off any other hummer that tries to get a drink, it's almost comical to watch him. He wears himself out defending his feeder.
I think a second feeder will make a lot more difference than more holes. We put a second one up right around the corner of the porch; it's easy to see both at once, hard for one bully to cover both. It more than doubled the rate we use up sugar this time of year.

Wm

PS The light's not quite right yet for my little finepix this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-two-feeders.jpg  
williamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #43
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
The "hot shoe" flash does give me a lot more flexibility than the built in flash (which I use only as a desperate, last resort).

Take care!

Quiet
I've read in some of the various tutorials I've been looking at that your last resort statement is absolutely true. A cameras built-in flash is too harsh of a light for most subjects. The "hot shoe" flash is something I want for my Rebel....but until then I try to take lampshades off in a room or if I need to I have one of those clamp lights that I can bounce off a ceiling.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #44
Salamander

coyote Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
I've read in some of the various tutorials I've been looking at that your last resort statement is absolutely true. A cameras built-in flash is too harsh of a light for most subjects. The "hot shoe" flash is something I want for my Rebel....but until then I try to take lampshades off in a room or if I need to I have one of those clamp lights that I can bounce off a ceiling.
The other thing some people overlook is setting your ISO to 400 or 800. I do not notice pronounced "graininess" with my Rebel at those settings, and I can take an indoor pic with no flash. However, candle lit rooms are a challenge doing this. Even at 1600 ISO, the quality is not objectionable.

Quiet
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #45
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
The other thing some people overlook is setting your ISO to 400 or 800. I do not notice pronounced "graininess" with my Rebel at those settings, and I can take an indoor pic with no flash. However, candle lit rooms are a challenge doing this. Even at 1600 ISO, the quality is not objectionable.

Quiet
Now see, I've been so afraid to push the ISO because of the graininess that I try to keep it no more than 200 or so...but hey, now I've learned something else. I'll need to play with the ISO and see what I can do. I need to get back to my tutorials and get past the action shots and lense speed section....
Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #46
Fox

I finally found some of my hummer photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0019_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0036_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0041_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0057_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0059_edited.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #47
Fox

A few more for now
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0061_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0110_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0111_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0112_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-wsbc0114_edited.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #48
Fox

These pictures I took with my digital spotting scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-pict0062.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-pict0064.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-pict0071.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-pict0073.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-pict0334.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #49
Fox

The hummers have hardly used our feeders this year but they love hanging out by our bottlebrush and palm trees. After taking these shots with my Canon Rebel I learned something...to use a tripod in all my future shots of these little birds. I didn't do that here. Now it looks like I have another self assignment. Get better shots of the hummers with the new camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-07-01-2009_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-07-01-2009-1-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-07-01-2009-2-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-07-27-2009-83-_edited.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-07-27-2009-86-_edited.jpg  

Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #50
Official Plant Nerd

You have some amazing close ups. You're a lucky lady. They must be accustomed to you for you to get in that close.

Tags
bird, bird feeders, birds, feeder, hummer, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, hummingbirds hummers, migration, nectar, photos