Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

Quietman 08-04-2009 04:52 AM

Very cool! Thank you for sharing!!!

Quietman

williamf 08-04-2009 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyblue (Post 33061)
I do but there is also either one mean or very hungry hummer that thinks that feeder is his alone. He chases off any other hummer that tries to get a drink, it's almost comical to watch him. He wears himself out defending his feeder.

I think a second feeder will make a lot more difference than more holes. We put a second one up right around the corner of the porch; it's easy to see both at once, hard for one bully to cover both. It more than doubled the rate we use up sugar this time of year.

Wm

PS The light's not quite right yet for my little finepix this morning.

MaggyNoLia 08-04-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 33163)
The "hot shoe" flash does give me a lot more flexibility than the built in flash (which I use only as a desperate, last resort).

Take care!

Quiet

I've read in some of the various tutorials I've been looking at that your last resort statement is absolutely true. A cameras built-in flash is too harsh of a light for most subjects. The "hot shoe" flash is something I want for my Rebel....but until then I try to take lampshades off in a room or if I need to I have one of those clamp lights that I can bounce off a ceiling.

Quietman 08-04-2009 03:29 PM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia (Post 33238)
I've read in some of the various tutorials I've been looking at that your last resort statement is absolutely true. A cameras built-in flash is too harsh of a light for most subjects. The "hot shoe" flash is something I want for my Rebel....but until then I try to take lampshades off in a room or if I need to I have one of those clamp lights that I can bounce off a ceiling.

The other thing some people overlook is setting your ISO to 400 or 800. I do not notice pronounced "graininess" with my Rebel at those settings, and I can take an indoor pic with no flash. However, candle lit rooms are a challenge doing this. Even at 1600 ISO, the quality is not objectionable.

Quiet

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 33245)
The other thing some people overlook is setting your ISO to 400 or 800. I do not notice pronounced "graininess" with my Rebel at those settings, and I can take an indoor pic with no flash. However, candle lit rooms are a challenge doing this. Even at 1600 ISO, the quality is not objectionable.

Quiet

Now see, I've been so afraid to push the ISO because of the graininess that I try to keep it no more than 200 or so...but hey, now I've learned something else. I'll need to play with the ISO and see what I can do. I need to get back to my tutorials and get past the action shots and lense speed section....

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally found some of my hummer photos.

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more for now

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These pictures I took with my digital spotting scope.

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 04:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The hummers have hardly used our feeders this year but they love hanging out by our bottlebrush and palm trees. After taking these shots with my Canon Rebel I learned something...to use a tripod in all my future shots of these little birds. I didn't do that here. Now it looks like I have another self assignment. Get better shots of the hummers with the new camera.

Equilibrium 08-06-2009 11:36 PM

You have some amazing close ups. You're a lucky lady. They must be accustomed to you for you to get in that close.