Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

Kildale 05-03-2012 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took this one of a couple of baby Anna's in March.

havalotta 05-03-2012 11:24 AM

Talk about overflow!:smileyclap

Kildale 05-03-2012 11:26 AM

They did look a little crowded.

Equilibrium 05-04-2012 10:53 AM

Awesome photo!!!

Kildale 05-06-2012 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took this one today, Anna's.

linrose 07-17-2012 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like a young male visiting the feeder this afternoon. The females are much more shy and didn't want their picture taken.

dapjwy 07-17-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 116417)
Looks like a young male visiting the feeder this afternoon. The females are much more shy and didn't want their picture taken.

Yes, some females are like that. ;)

Excellent photos by the way. I love the detail and clarity.

BooBooBearBecky 07-17-2012 03:57 PM

Linrose-
What a handsome hummingbird dude!!!! Love the photo!

linrose 07-18-2012 06:47 AM

Which females would those be dap???

Thanks for the kudos on the photo dap and 4B, I cropped a little and entered him in the July POM contest. I really want to catch one in mid-air but I'm such a novice I don't know if I can. I just love the irredescent quality of the feathers on these little guys!

dapjwy 07-20-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrose (Post 116494)
Which females would those be dap???

That's for you to know and others to figure out. ;)

ButterflyLinda 07-21-2012 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and was far enough away!

dapjwy 07-21-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 116820)
This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and wasn't was far enough away!

Isn't it cool that they begin to assume that you are not a threat...my frogs in the pond seem to be getting used to me too. Then again, both the frogs and the hummingbirds have pretty quick ways to retreat if the need should arise. That must be reasuring to them.

Unfortunately, I couldn't open the photo beyond seeing the thumbnail. It looks great from what I can see in miniature. (Not sure if I just have to reboot my computer or something else is at play.)

GonativeAlex 07-21-2012 02:17 PM

I like hummies but I've pretty much accpect the fact we just don't get them here. We get tons of other things though. Bumblebees, monarchs, wasps,butterflies, flies of various types. Beetles,ect

Guys I have a good 17-15 monarch cats if anyone in MN is intrested in rearing them when I go out on vacation, late Aug, I'll PM you the details if you are up to it.

havalotta 07-21-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 116821)
Isn't it cool that they begin to assume that you are not a threat...my frogs in the pond seem to be getting used to me too.
Unfortunately, I couldn't open the photo beyond seeing the thumbnail. It looks great from what I can see in miniature. (Not sure if I just have to reboot my computer or something else is at play.)

Photo comes in A-OK for me.....Must be something on your end.
In time, your frogs may become so accustomed to you that they will actually let you pet them without hopping away.

dapjwy 07-21-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 116835)
Photo comes in A-OK for me.....Must be something on your end.
In time, your frogs may become so accustomed to you that they will actually let you pet them without hopping away.

I came back and was able to open it. Nice photo.

Interesting...today I was pretty close to one and was tempted to reach out and pet him! At the same time I felt it was much too soon...and I can't imagine that it would want to be petted. :)

Are you speaking from experience?

biigblueyes 07-22-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and was far enough away!

It was humming "Hurry up, will ya? I'm starving"

ButterflyLinda 07-22-2012 07:06 PM

I know! They're so cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 116876)
It was humming "Hurry up, will ya? I'm starving"

havalotta 08-12-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 116851)
Interesting...today I was pretty close to one and was tempted to reach out and pet him! At the same time I felt it was much too soon...and I can't imagine that it would want to be petted. :)

Are you speaking from experience?

Yes.... But I only give them a stroke or two across their backs. I don't want to scare them any.
That works fine and dandy until the neighborhood kids take notice of them and start banging at them with the nets and their hands in attempts to capture them. :(

BeeWonderful 08-12-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

This past week while I was down low weeding among the cucumbers, a hummingbird flew to the scarlet runner beans just above my head! I crouched there not moving---i wasn't sure if it saw me---while it visited the flowers just 12 inches from me! It was amazing.

havalotta 08-12-2012 11:20 AM

Could you feel the wind of it's tiny ~wings~?

ButterflyLinda 08-12-2012 02:21 PM

And the hummer noises?

BeeWonderful 08-12-2012 10:06 PM

The sound of the wings was definitely loud in my ear. For some reason I didn't feel the breeze, but my trellis is full to bursting with vegetation. Or perhaps I was too mesmerized to even think! All I remember doing was holding my breath! If it ever happens again I will pay more attention :)

linrose 09-04-2012 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This young male has been holding court on the top of the feeder for a few days now. He's very entertaining to watch. He sits on his perch all day long, guarding his cache. Since the last four days have seen the rains of what's left of Isaac here we haven't been outside much but this little guy sits there, with his head tilted up, drinking the rain water and snatching tiny bugs and flies as they pass. I can't believe how long their tongues are! Not many of the other hummers are willing to challenge him, as soon as they come near he flies off his perch and they don't even attempt to sample the nectar. Luckily for them there are plenty of salvias for them in the garden.

I actually thought this was a female until I saw the small red dot under his right eye.

Equilibrium 09-05-2012 11:01 PM

Territorial little buggers aren't they!!! Really cute photo.
--
My husband was working on our screened in porch last weekend and he came and got me telling me I had to come watch a hummer that was going eye to eye with him through the screens. Silliest thing I've seen in a long time. My husband would bob his head up and the hummer would fly up and he'd bob his head to the left and the hummer would follow. Cuter than the dickens watching the 2 of them scoping each other out with the hummer following my husband's every move staying face to face with him. That hummer came back to where my husband was working 3 or 4 times.

Sage 09-07-2012 08:57 PM

Occasionally a hummer flies up to the flowers on the edge of my balcony, and the Cookiecat does not even notice!

williamf 09-08-2012 09:26 AM

Hummer Feeder - YouTube

A couple of weeks ago I took this video of the little ruffians. I had just refilled the feeder with refrigerated 4-to-1 and it's sweating profusely in the mugginess. Taken with a Small Wonder pocket video camera through a screen, but turned out fairly well.

Wm

Equilibrium 09-10-2012 06:23 AM

You lucky duck you!!! That's awesome. I counted 8 hummers. There were probably more. I'd kill to have that many hummers zinging around all at once outside my kitchen window!!! You done good!!!!

linrose 09-13-2012 08:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
That's a lot of hummingbirds willamf!!! They sure are territorial!

Yesterday I saw one fighting off a yellowjacket. Now that it's late summer they are foraging for food wherever they can find it. I didn't think the hummer would chase the yellowjacket off!

I've been watching three (I think) hummingbirds all summer. It seems like more have been showing up at the feeder lately. It could be migration time already, I'm not sure. I thought I saw around six yesterday. Now that there is more competition, the little male that sit on top of the feeder all day is not so brave anymore!

williamf 09-14-2012 07:36 AM

I'm abandoned. One day last week there were a dozen birds squabbling over the feeder, the next there was one.
I think there are still one or two around, or passing through, but the show's over.
I'll keep a small feeder up for stragglers, but now I have to remember to change it out every few days instead of just checking the level.
Wm

linrose 09-14-2012 10:57 AM

Migration is underway! At least you got to capture it on film. My three residents are still here but I'll be watching for them to leave. I'll sure miss them, I watch them every morning over my cup of tea.

havalotta 09-17-2012 06:20 PM

Migration is underway.:(
Just noticed the robins were still here....The purple martins moves out LOOOONG ago!

MaggyNoLia 09-19-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 104243)
Attachment 28011
Is this some type of a humming bird or something other?
Attachment 28012
We spotted it while walking about in Arizona.

That is definitely a hummer...could be a black chinned or calliope hummingbird. The others have a lot more orange and reds on them...

I have almost the exact same shot from a little guy that liked to hang out in the bushes outside of the condo we had when we were out in Az. It was at the Legacy in Phoenix.

MaggyNoLia 09-19-2012 05:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Our little hummers are still here and flitting and flying around everyday. I recently sat out back and aimed my lense in their direction.

MaggyNoLia 09-19-2012 05:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More of our Ruby-throated Humminbirds...

havalotta 09-19-2012 07:43 PM

Thanks for a possible I.D. on the one I had taken. That middle one of yours is absolutely calendar worthy!

linrose 09-20-2012 07:43 AM

Awesome MaggyNoLia!!! I agree on that third shot, you must make an enlargement of that and hang it on your wall!

Equilibrium 09-21-2012 07:46 PM

Er... uh... Maggynolia.... do you ever log in from the home page>>>? I think you better check out the home page. ;) Way to go!!!!

MaggyNoLia 09-21-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 121104)
Er... uh... Maggynolia.... do you ever log in from the home page>>>? I think you better check out the home page. ;) Way to go!!!!

LoL, nope...I hardly ever do. Guess I should go look and thanks!

MaggyNoLia 09-21-2012 09:31 PM

It's always an honor when others enjoy your shots. Thank you very much WG!!

MaggyNoLia 09-21-2012 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
While I was out in Arizona earlier this year there was a little hummingbird that hung out on this twig that stuck out of the top of a bush. I'm pretty sure that this little guy is a Black-chinned Hummingbird.

Attachment 32467

We've noticed that at home our Ruby-throated hummers like to perch on a bare branch or twig as well. They love our dead little red maple...

This other little sweety I caught in a tree that was just outside the front door of our cousins house. I'm pretty sure this is a female Costa's Hummingbird....mainly because of the eye patterns.

Attachment 32468

This last one was a treat for me. I've never seen a hummingbird in a nest before.

havalotta 09-23-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 121104)

One of her photos up front???? I'm not picking up on it...Nothing showing up in home nor this forums thread head.
If so, congrats! Do you have a link to view it?

MaggyNoLia 09-23-2012 06:39 PM

Havalotta click on the 'home' link at the top of your page...left, under Widlife Gardeners...

havalotta 09-23-2012 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did that but I'm seeing Kildales humming bird photo.
Attachment 32510
There's a diddy about you beneath his photo. What gives?
Am I suppose to be seeing your photo and in need of refreshing something somewhere along the line?

linrose 09-28-2012 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Doing a high-wire act.

havalotta 09-30-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia (Post 121226)
Havalotta click on the 'home' link at the top of your page...left, under Widlife Gardeners...

Your photo's showing up proper now...Congrats Maggy!:smileyclap