Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

MaggyNoLia 08-06-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 33783)
You have some amazing close ups. You're a lucky lady. They must be accustomed to you for you to get in that close.

Cropping helped in posts #46 and 47 and the fact that I used a birdcam. Post #48 was with my digital scope(it makes 20' look like 2"). Post #49 was helped along with cropping but those I shot with my Canon.

Quietman 08-07-2009 03:47 AM

Great shots, and interesting feeders!

Quietman

TheLorax 08-08-2009 11:10 AM

These pics brighten my rainy day.

You are all doing a wonderful job photographing your visitors.

Green Man 08-09-2009 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my latest pic. of humming birds. This photo was taken at a ranger station in the Cimarron mountains

I took several photos but because I did not have a good camera most did not turn out at times there were as many as a dozen spinning around this feeder.

biigblueyes 08-21-2009 05:47 PM

That's Bellying up to the bar if I ever saw it! Nice shot.

Quietman 08-22-2009 04:38 PM

Taken this morning

1 Attachment(s)
A male, ruby throated hummingbird.

I thought I'd try my macro lens this time, probably the best I've taken of the male so far.

Attachment 7827

Date Taken : 22 AUG 09
Lens : 100mm macro
F-Stop : F8
Exposure Time : 1/200 sec
ISO : 400
Focal length : 100mm (35mm equivalent: 160mm)
White Balance : Flash
Exp. Program : Aperture Priority
Macro-Flash Ring

Ya, ya, I know I'm supposed to be taking pictures of owls, but they will be here all year! These little guys will be gone in a month or so.

Quietman

P.S. This was cropped by about 70%

Quietman 08-22-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Man (Post 34168)
Here is my latest pic. of humming birds. This photo was taken at a ranger station in the Cimarron mountains

Green Man,

Great shot, thank you for sharing!

Have you ever noticed in the groups shots, all the birds appear to be female? Correct me if I'm wrong! I rarely get more than two females at any feeder, and if a male is there, well, just one bird *LOL*

Take care!

Quietman

Hedgerowe 08-22-2009 05:04 PM

Wow, Quietman. Really great photo.

williamf 08-23-2009 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 36130)
Green Man,

Great shot, thank you for sharing!

Have you ever noticed in the groups shots, all the birds appear to be female? Correct me if I'm wrong! I rarely get more than two females at any feeder, and if a male is there, well, just one bird *LOL*

Take care!

Quietman

By late summer a lot of the birds at feeders are this year's. The juvies all pretty much look alike and are hard to tell from the adult females.

Y'all sure do take good hummer pictures. Good equipment and skill add a lot to photography. I had an easier time taking a picture of our hummers' larder. We're at the peak of the season now, refilling this jug every other day or so to reload the two 48 ounce feeders.
Good luck, Wm

Equilibrium 08-23-2009 04:12 PM

Stop taking photos of my refrigerator!!! Just kidding. We use 2-liters of diet pop forour sugar water. A gallon jug would be more convenient. You don't by any chance know how long sugar water keeps in a frig do you?

williamf 08-23-2009 11:51 PM

I've left several gallons in the fridge for our helpful neighbor (who thinks we're nuts) to refill the feeders when we're going to be gone for a week or ten days on vacation; I know it'll keep longer than that. Out in the heat it'll go sour and grow mold in a few days, but that's why we invented refrigerators.
Wm

Green Man 08-25-2009 11:55 AM

In reference to my photo, at the time there would be as many as 10 swooping at the feeder. They were very noisy almost like they were challenging one another. I was surprised that they were so loud. There were swooping so much it was hard to get a photo. Wish I could have hung around longer and watched them.

:turkeydance

MaggyNoLia 08-25-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Man (Post 36441)
There were swooping so much it was hard to get a photo. :turkeydance

I know what you mean Green Man. Twice in the last week I've gone out back to get some shots of the hummers in the bottle brush and was captivated by the chases. I love it when they stop, pause upright in midair and fan out their tails. It all happens though in the blink of an eye. By the time I caught up to them with my camera they were zooming off again. I'm beginning to think the only way I'm going to get a fanned tail shot is pure luck. They just move too fast.

Dirty Knees 08-25-2009 02:43 PM

They are so fast. No wonder there aren't so many pictures of them. I don't have a digital camera so I like seeing your hummingbird photos.

MaggyNoLia 08-25-2009 06:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
While I find it very frustrating trying to capture a midair dance between two hummers I have been enjoying some of the shots I've gotten of the hummers alone. My first shot is the closest I've come yet to catching a good shot of two in midair. It's also the only one I've gotten.

MaggyNoLia 08-25-2009 06:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The hummingbirds love this area of our yard. We have a drainage swale and easement on the left side of our yard. Because this area is always wet we've planted some wax myrtle and some oleander in the swale. Immediately above the swale we have some bottlebrush and palm trees. The hummingbirds as well as many other small birds love this protected area of our property. I'm hoping one day to find the native lemon bottlebrush and add that to our yard. In the meantime, the butterflies and hummingbirds sure seem to enjoy the bottlebrush we have now.

MaggyNoLia 08-25-2009 06:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've been having fun sitting out back with these little guys. Every now and then one will buzz right by me and one stopped about two feet in front of my face and just looked at me chattering away. The chattering cracks me up.

Quietman 08-25-2009 06:53 PM

Wow! :clap

Those are rockin' great photos!!!

I know what you mean about watching them while you try to capture photos. I've spent many a full Saturday morning watching them chase each other around my feeders and flowering bushes. Getting a photo is just the gravy!

Thank you for sharing!!

Quietman

Equilibrium 08-25-2009 09:51 PM

MaggyNoLia!!! You're on a roll there! You done good... reeeeeeeeeeal good! You should submit some of those to the Photo of the Month Contest.

Hedgerowe 08-26-2009 04:37 AM

MaggyNoLia, your photos are incredible. Equilibrium is right--you should be entering contests with these.

Staff 08-26-2009 01:25 PM

MaggyNoLia, may we please use one of your hummingbird photos at the site?

MaggyNoLia 08-26-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staff (Post 36694)
MaggyNoLia, may we please use one of your hummingbird photos at the site?

Absolutely, I'd be honored for you to do so.

Staff 08-26-2009 03:58 PM

Thank you MaggyNoLia.

biigblueyes 08-26-2009 06:07 PM

Maggy!!!!! I see your picture on the homepage! Beautiful!

MaggyNoLia 08-26-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 36746)
Maggy!!!!! I see your picture on the homepage! Beautiful!

Believe me, I'm smiling!

Equilibrium 08-26-2009 09:49 PM

A celebrity amongst us!!! Congrats MaggyNoLia!!! I see it!!!

Quietman 08-27-2009 04:10 AM

Ok, ok, I feel dumb! I can't find it! :irked

Would anyone mind posting the link please?

Thank you in advance,

Quietman

Hedgerowe 08-27-2009 04:28 AM

(It is the link just underneath the logo in the upper left corner of your screen, Quietman.)

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/index.php

Quietman 08-27-2009 04:34 AM

Ok, thank you!

I figured it out. Wuld you believe that I have NEVER been to the HOME screeen before? I always thought the FORUMS screen was the HOME screen.:oops

Thank you Hedgerow!

Quiet

havalotta 10-27-2011 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Warning GRAPHIC image.
Poor little guy didn't make it.
Attachment 27317
Must have boinked into the window and landed in the pond.:(

ButterflyLinda 11-21-2011 01:46 PM

Well...to bring a little cheer, I've had two hummingbirds around almost a week now...after none seen for almost a month. Yesterday, I brought the feeder in to clean it and put fresh nectar in. On my way out to where I hang it on a tree, one of the hummingbirds rushed up after spotting the feeder, so I just held out the feeder and wow, it fed like that. I was going to post a pic of a hummer nectaring once the feeder was put up, but can't get the attachment thingy to work...often happens on this site.

TheLorax 11-22-2011 08:51 AM

Your hummingbird pictures would be most appreciated.

May I please ask what the error message was when you tried to attach your picture?

havalotta 11-24-2011 02:20 PM

Don't know if you know it or not but If you're loading any more than one or two photos at a time the error message shows up.
Try loading one-two at a time and see how that works out for you on up to the 5 photo limit.

ButterflyLinda 12-01-2011 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I think it's working now. DH's modem went bad, so the net was coming in very slow with connection problems because it all comes in through his computer...that probably had something to do with the problems I had. It's fixed now. :) This pic was yesterday. I heard lately that the town of Boerne (within 40 miles of our area) has been seeing some Rufous hummingbirds overwintering there for several years now. Maybe climate change. Don't know what kind these are...they might move on, or stay...but I'll keep a feeder going as long as they are here.

dapjwy 12-01-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 102515)
...Yesterday, I brought the feeder in to clean it and put fresh nectar in. On my way out to where I hang it on a tree, one of the hummingbirds rushed up after spotting the feeder, so I just held out the feeder and wow, it fed like that.

What a great experience and story. Thanks for sharing. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 102856)
I heard lately that the town of Boerne (within 40 miles of our area) has been seeing some Rufous hummingbirds overwintering there for several years now. Maybe climate change. Don't know what kind these are...they might move on, or stay...but I'll keep a feeder going as long as they are here.

Cool for those people in Boerne who get to enjoy them while they overwinter! :) Maybe you can too, if not, enjoy them while you have them.

Equilibrium 12-09-2011 01:33 PM

"This pic was yesterday. I heard lately that the town of Boerne (within 40 miles of our area) has been seeing some Rufous hummingbirds overwintering there for several years now." Nice photo and taken in December to boot! I'm jealous!!!

havalotta 01-20-2012 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28011
Is this some type of a humming bird or something other?
Attachment 28012
We spotted it while walking about in Arizona.

dapjwy 01-20-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 104243)
Is this some type of a humming bird or something other?

I'm no expert...but it sure looks like a hummer to me.

havalotta 01-20-2012 05:56 PM

A real humdinger ha....Could it be a tree creeper or some sort of an insect eater?

ButterflyLinda 01-20-2012 10:19 PM

Well, Arizona IS known to have winter hummingbirds!

Equilibrium 02-03-2012 04:49 PM

We don't have any hummers in winter but once the leaves drop we can see tiny little tea cup sized nests in the trees. When the kids were little we used to take play a game when driving of who could spot the most tea cups in the trees. It was fun. Nurseries always had the most.

ButterflyLinda 03-15-2012 06:29 PM

The winter ones seem to be gone and I've spotted a couple of migrating ones. The second migrating one I saw was definitely a male Black-chinned.

havalotta 03-16-2012 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I noticed this little hummer? (in California) last week.
Attachment 28637
Any idea what kind it is?

ButterflyLinda 03-23-2012 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of hummingbirds that were coming to my feeder today. Such cuties! The male is Black-chinned, most likely the female is the same.

havalotta 03-23-2012 10:06 PM

Niiiice. I just brought the feeder back outdoors that The Lorax had given me. :)
Refresh me...The nectar should be 1 part sugar to 4 parts water correct?

ButterflyLinda 03-23-2012 10:18 PM

Yes, that's right!

havalotta 03-23-2012 10:26 PM

Just checking. Don't want to starve or fatten them up tooooo much.

ButterflyLinda 04-05-2012 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hummingbird activity here has really heated up in the last few days. Guess this is the big migration!

Kildale 05-02-2012 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of winter shots of the Anna's. Taken on the deck.

ButterflyLinda 05-02-2012 04:02 PM

Nice! We still have quite a few hummingbirds every day...and wondering now if they're all staying for the season, and none of these are migrating. We haven't had any real rain this month (traces only), so am hoping the drought isn't back! I'm without a useable camera and looking for a new digital camera. Am thinking about Canon...anyone have suggestions?