Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

williamf 06-03-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Knees (Post 23725)
Does anybody have a humzinger with 6 ports? Are they worth the money? The wild bird store has them on sale this week for $5 off.

Most of the time they're too hyper/selfish to take advantage of all four holes on one of ours. If you have a spot and time for a second feeder that would probably push more sugar-water.
Ease of filling and cleaning are what I usually go by. Last year I fell for a couple of really nice looking, decorated glass feeders. Turned out they were made with some sort of glue or paint that even I didn't like the smell when it got wet. One of them is hanging in the kitchen as decoration now, the other, which we had filled, had to be thrown away.
Good luck, Wm

TheLorax 06-03-2009 11:36 PM

Is this the HumZinger you want-
HumZinger Hummingbird Feeders

I have a friend who has one. It is easy to clean. I don't know that it is any better than the hummingbird feeders that are under $10. The perch that goes all the way around looks convenient for them to take a rest.

williamf 06-04-2009 05:08 AM

Oh, I recognize those.
Our aunt has one of the hanging type and one of the window ones at her mountain house that we use every summer. They are easy to work with, and the birds like them. The window one is a favorite; you can near 'bout touch noses with the hummers.
I think for us, here, they wouldn't be practical; later in the summer we get less than two days out of the 42? 48? ounce model in the pictures I posted above.
I'm afraid they'd run out before I got home from work.:)
Good luck, Wm

Staff 06-05-2009 12:29 AM

Even a 16 oz humzinger would be empty when you got home?

williamf 06-05-2009 04:15 AM

We start the year using a sixteen ounce bottle; we're still on it now but in a couple of weeks when we start having to fill it every day we'll switch to the bigger ones.
By August we'll have two two-quart feeders up, one on each side of the porch door. One will need filling every day. When we go to the mountains for a couple of weeks we leave the fridge filled with gallon jugs of four-to-one for the neighbor to stop by every day and fill 'em up. The bossy little buggers keep us hopping.
Good luck, Wm

biigblueyes 06-05-2009 07:36 AM

Wow - the view from your porch must be nice! I guess your place is the hummingbird resort.

TheLorax 06-05-2009 06:33 PM

How many of them do you have visiting you do you think that you go through that much sugar water?

williamf 06-06-2009 02:59 AM

Our usual counting goes,"One, two, three, many,,,," They move around a lot, and they all either look like this or like that.
But seriously, by the time of the season when this year's crop join their parents at the feeder there will be fifteen to twenty in close pretty much all day.
Good luck, Wm

Equilibrium 06-06-2009 05:50 PM

"Our usual counting goes,"One, two, three, many,,,," I'm soooooooooo jealous.

BooBooBearBecky 06-10-2009 12:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Love the hummer photos everyone!:D

Here's mine.