Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #121
Salamander

And the hummer noises?
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #122
Heron

The sound of the wings was definitely loud in my ear. For some reason I didn't feel the breeze, but my trellis is full to bursting with vegetation. Or perhaps I was too mesmerized to even think! All I remember doing was holding my breath! If it ever happens again I will pay more attention
Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #123
WG Fundraising Coordinator

This young male has been holding court on the top of the feeder for a few days now. He's very entertaining to watch. He sits on his perch all day long, guarding his cache. Since the last four days have seen the rains of what's left of Isaac here we haven't been outside much but this little guy sits there, with his head tilted up, drinking the rain water and snatching tiny bugs and flies as they pass. I can't believe how long their tongues are! Not many of the other hummers are willing to challenge him, as soon as they come near he flies off his perch and they don't even attempt to sample the nectar. Luckily for them there are plenty of salvias for them in the garden.

I actually thought this was a female until I saw the small red dot under his right eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-hummingbird.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #124
Official Plant Nerd

Territorial little buggers aren't they!!! Really cute photo.
--
My husband was working on our screened in porch last weekend and he came and got me telling me I had to come watch a hummer that was going eye to eye with him through the screens. Silliest thing I've seen in a long time. My husband would bob his head up and the hummer would fly up and he'd bob his head to the left and the hummer would follow. Cuter than the dickens watching the 2 of them scoping each other out with the hummer following my husband's every move staying face to face with him. That hummer came back to where my husband was working 3 or 4 times.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #125
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Occasionally a hummer flies up to the flowers on the edge of my balcony, and the Cookiecat does not even notice!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #126
Lungwort

Hummer Feeder - YouTube

A couple of weeks ago I took this video of the little ruffians. I had just refilled the feeder with refrigerated 4-to-1 and it's sweating profusely in the mugginess. Taken with a Small Wonder pocket video camera through a screen, but turned out fairly well.

Wm
williamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #127
Official Plant Nerd

You lucky duck you!!! That's awesome. I counted 8 hummers. There were probably more. I'd kill to have that many hummers zinging around all at once outside my kitchen window!!! You done good!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #128

That's a lot of hummingbirds willamf!!! They sure are territorial!

Yesterday I saw one fighting off a yellowjacket. Now that it's late summer they are foraging for food wherever they can find it. I didn't think the hummer would chase the yellowjacket off!

I've been watching three (I think) hummingbirds all summer. It seems like more have been showing up at the feeder lately. It could be migration time already, I'm not sure. I thought I saw around six yesterday. Now that there is more competition, the little male that sit on top of the feeder all day is not so brave anymore!
Attached Thumbnails
Hummingbird Photos-hummer-vs-yellowjacket.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-incoming-hummer.jpg   Hummingbird Photos-hummer.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #129
Lungwort

I'm abandoned. One day last week there were a dozen birds squabbling over the feeder, the next there was one.
I think there are still one or two around, or passing through, but the show's over.
I'll keep a small feeder up for stragglers, but now I have to remember to change it out every few days instead of just checking the level.
Wm
williamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #130

Migration is underway! At least you got to capture it on film. My three residents are still here but I'll be watching for them to leave. I'll sure miss them, I watch them every morning over my cup of tea.

Tags
bird, bird feeders, birds, feeder, hummer, hummingbird, hummingbird feeder, hummingbirds hummers, migration, nectar, photos