Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Birds Including Raptors & Hummers (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/)
-   -   Hummingbird Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/birds-including-raptors-hummers/2214-hummingbird-photos.html)

ButterflyLinda 07-21-2012 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and was far enough away!

dapjwy 07-21-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 116820)
This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and wasn't was far enough away!


Isn't it cool that they begin to assume that you are not a threat...my frogs in the pond seem to be getting used to me too. Then again, both the frogs and the hummingbirds have pretty quick ways to retreat if the need should arise. That must be reasuring to them.

Unfortunately, I couldn't open the photo beyond seeing the thumbnail. It looks great from what I can see in miniature. (Not sure if I just have to reboot my computer or something else is at play.)

GonativeAlex 07-21-2012 02:17 PM

I like hummies but I've pretty much accpect the fact we just don't get them here. We get tons of other things though. Bumblebees, monarchs, wasps,butterflies, flies of various types. Beetles,ect


Guys I have a good 17-15 monarch cats if anyone in MN is intrested in rearing them when I go out on vacation, late Aug, I'll PM you the details if you are up to it.

havalotta 07-21-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 116821)
Isn't it cool that they begin to assume that you are not a threat...my frogs in the pond seem to be getting used to me too.
Unfortunately, I couldn't open the photo beyond seeing the thumbnail. It looks great from what I can see in miniature. (Not sure if I just have to reboot my computer or something else is at play.)

Photo comes in A-OK for me.....Must be something on your end.
In time, your frogs may become so accustomed to you that they will actually let you pet them without hopping away.

dapjwy 07-21-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 116835)
Photo comes in A-OK for me.....Must be something on your end.
In time, your frogs may become so accustomed to you that they will actually let you pet them without hopping away.

I came back and was able to open it. Nice photo.

Interesting...today I was pretty close to one and was tempted to reach out and pet him! At the same time I felt it was much too soon...and I can't imagine that it would want to be petted. :)

Are you speaking from experience?

biigblueyes 07-22-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 116820)
This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and was far enough away!

It was humming "Hurry up, will ya? I'm starving"

ButterflyLinda 07-22-2012 07:06 PM

I know! They're so cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 116876)
It was humming "Hurry up, will ya? I'm starving"


havalotta 08-12-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 116851)
Interesting...today I was pretty close to one and was tempted to reach out and pet him! At the same time I felt it was much too soon...and I can't imagine that it would want to be petted. :)

Are you speaking from experience?

Yes.... But I only give them a stroke or two across their backs. I don't want to scare them any.
That works fine and dandy until the neighborhood kids take notice of them and start banging at them with the nets and their hands in attempts to capture them. :(

BeeWonderful 08-12-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyLinda (Post 116820)
This was a hummingbird who waited for me to replace a feeder it was watching, then zoomed in as soon as I replaced it and was far enough away!

This past week while I was down low weeding among the cucumbers, a hummingbird flew to the scarlet runner beans just above my head! I crouched there not moving---i wasn't sure if it saw me---while it visited the flowers just 12 inches from me! It was amazing.

havalotta 08-12-2012 11:20 AM

Could you feel the wind of it's tiny ~wings~?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2