Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default Birdbaths and bird feeders

I'm not sure this is the right area to ask these questions but if not just steer me to the correct area.

I have a heated birdbath that gets a lot of traffic so it gets dirty pretty quickly. The doves were sitting in the center above the heater as soon as that area was clear of water and making a huge mess not long after it was cleaned. I put a large cement object from a fountain in the center to discourage that and it works pretty well but the birdbath still gets dirty more times then I'm available to clean it.

How clean does it need to be for it to be safe?

Now that it is really cold I've put up 2 bird feeders which were just cleaned with a mild bleach solution.
Do they have to be cleaned more then once a season? If so how often?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

I only have one birdbath that is de-iced over winter. I clean it the same way you do with a mild bleach solution every few weeks. I just do my best to keep up.

I used to be more anal about cleaning it but couldn't help but notice the birds drinking melted snow from our gutters. They actually seem to prefer water from the gutters which isn't available to them over the summer.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Grub

Right now I have 7 active birdfeeders. The Audubon Society advises washing them in a mild bleach solution when they are dirty; in my case, the free hanging feeders stay relatively clean, but the window feeders need weekly washing (but, I'm guilty of not being conscientious enough.)
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

I'm guilty of not bleaching mine as frequently as I should too.

I know we really should get into the practice of bleaching our birdbaths at least once a week. I dip mine in a bucket of bleach then let them sun dry. I probably let them sit in the bleach for about 5 minutes before taking them out. I then use the bleach solution to clean all of my birdbaths and chipmunk and squirrel feeders.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Rock Star

What products are recommended for sealing concrete birdbaths?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Heron

This year I promised myself to get the water fountain bird bath out and functioning. And then you guys can post a reminder thread, say once a month telling everyone (namely me) its time to clean the feeders and bath.

Usually I hose down the feeders and let them air dry in the sun once a week in the summer. I figure between the chlorinated city water and the sunlight, they should be clean enough.

In the winter, I only clean the feeders about once a month.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Check out SafeCoat. There are some soy based concrete sealers that look safe. Reputable pond suppliers should have wildlife friendly non-toxic concrete sealers.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

I have the container for the product I used. I will try to find it for you.

Tags
bird, bird bath, bird baths, bird feeder, bird feeders, birdbaths, birds, concrete birdbaths, feeders