Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Where did my birds go?

I posted this on another forum & some people thought maybe they were enjoying the fruits of spring didn't need the feeders anymore right now. Also I wasn't the only one expeiencing this.
This spring I have been blessed with an abundance of birds at my feeders. Sometimes as many as 10-12 American Goldfinches on my thistle feeders Also nuthatches, chickadees, mourning doves, cardinals, indigo buntings, house finches, & several types of woodpeckers.About 2 weeks ago we had a very rainy week. It rained all week, most of the day. During this time, there was very little activity at the feeders & who could blame them. When the sun came out, the birds didn't return. I thought my feed was probably going bad from the rain, so I emptied the feeders, cleaned them out & filled them with nice fresh feed. A few birds stopped by since then, here & there, but not like before this humungous rain we had. So where do you think they went? I miss them. Is there some other type of feed I can use now to bring them back?
Tami58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Heron

They are sitting on eggs.

The hummers are feeding heavy right now.

But the seed feeders have slowed down... like they typically do at this time of year.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

I noticed my bird food was lasting a long time too, and wondered if my feed had gone bad enough to run off the dozens and dozens of birds that would hang around.

I guess they're SUPPOSED to be busy elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

Thanks that's good to know. I knew I still heard a lot of birds so I figured they were out there.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Heron

We've been watching a stupid dove that has nested on the window sill of our building at work... it looks like only one egg hatched. She is still sitting on the baby. Today it was warm out and you could see the babe trying to get out from under mom and she kept poking him back into the nest.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Grub

Yep I don't have as many either, and mostly males as the mommas are off doing their thing. Hummers like crazy though!
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

Not too many hummers here. but someone told me if I have a tulip poplar in the area that is blooming that they will be all over it, so that's probably where they are. I have at least one in my woods. Haven't noticed any others, but there may be. The one I have is mature & putting off lots of blooms/seeds.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Grub

I can't put birdseed out right now...the local black bear likes to climb the white oak and shake the feeders.

The feeders are supported by a 50 ft long, reinforced 3/8" diameter 10/8 copper cable, left over in the backyard by the previous owner of the house (an electrician). I have a pulley attached to one tree, the cable is tied to a second tree 20 feet up, and I lower the cable (from the pulley side) when the feeders need to be filled.

The squirrels try to chew the cable, and the bear even attempts to cross it (like they did to my rope-pulley feeders)...I see a lot of scratches in the copper, but it's nowhere near the devastation from years past, when the rope would be chewed through and all the feeders would crash to the ground.
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

You need to put a trail cam watching THAT feeder - just for entertainment.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Grub

A couple years ago mr Bear tried crossing the rope...the circus wanna-be snapped it.

It was dark out...All I heard was <snap>, <THUD (him falling on the ground)> <SMACK (the bird feeder hitting him in the head)> <ROAR! (very grumpy bear)>

Dan
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american goldfinches, bird feeders, birds, cardinals, chickadees, doves, feeding birds, house finches, indigo buntings, nuthatches, thistle feeders, woodpeckers