Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Garden Plans for Birds

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. I am looking for garden/flower bed designs that attract birds using plants native to Kentucky. Does anyone have any plans they could share?

Thanks!
Jeremy
jkruer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Big Fat juicy WORM

You might Google for native birds of Kentucky and also contact the Audubon society. A little research on the birds should give you a good idea of what plants would make for good habitat for them. You also might want to check the Kentucky native plant society for help in that department.
Looks like you are going to have a fun project to work with.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Plans are doable if you can post photos of your property. You definitely should contact your local Audubon chapter for a list of species that would be best for where you garden. Most native plant societies will try to provide you with lists too.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Carbon

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I contacted the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife and they have a backyard habitat kit with much of what I was looking for and more. It was only $13 so I went ahead and purchased it.

Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources - How can I participate in Backyard Wildlife?

Jeremy
Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Administrator

$13 is a good deal for lists of plants native to where you garden. I would be interested in learning more about what else you will receive with your kit.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

A local Audubon chapter would be a good source for you. Good that someone suggested that.

If you tell me what county you are in and describe your property a little bit, I will try to help you too. There are so many wonderful plants you can use to create your little bit of heaven in Kentucky.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Weeder View Post
$13 is a good deal for lists of plants native to where you garden. I would be interested in learning more about what else you will receive with your kit.
How to develop a landscape plan for wildlife

Native Kentucky food and shelter plants for butterflies, hummingbirds, songbirds, and other wild species

How to establish wildflowers from seed

Sample landscape and garden plans

Wildlife checklists

A resource inventory form

Nest box plans

Water sources for wildlife

Sources of wildlife plants and materials

Suggested references

An application to certify your backyard or schoolyard

Jeremy
Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
If you tell me what county you are in and describe your property a little bit, I will try to help you too. There are so many wonderful plants you can use to create your little bit of heaven in Kentucky.
I live in Shelby County. I live at the front of a subdivision on a lot that is a about 1/3 acre. It is a rectangle that is wider than it is deep. The back yard is fenced in with 4 board horse fence. Behind the property is a small (3 acre) woodlot of deciduous trees. On the left side of my property there are multiple small (5 ft tall) evergreens.

So far, all I have planned is I want to plant vines around my fence and have them grow up and cover my whole fence. I was going to plant a vine at every other fence post (each post is 8' apart). I was going to alternate back and forth between Trumpet Honeysuckle and Butterfly Pea. I figured the Honeysuckle would attract hummingbirds and I just liked the look of the Butterfly Pea. Both would provide shelter for small birds to escape into and they would soften the look of the boring fence.

So far though, that's all I got. In the front yard, I have a small japanese maple and a very small garden bed with small shrubs and daisey's planted in there.

I like the idea of planting some type of "living" mulch around the base of the evergreens and in the front garden instead of using wood mulch but honestly I don't know anything about it. I tried to go on enature.com and look for clover that was native to kentucky but I couldn't find anything. If I decide to go the living mulch route I would prefer something that I don't have to replant each year or that I don't have to mess with too much.....I can just let it grow and leave it alone. I don't know much about living mulch I just heard about the concept, so if this is unrealistic, let me know.

Also, my wife would like to plant a vegetable garden and I was thinking about trying to plant it on the right side yard of my home but I only picked that location because nothing is there currently.

My house faces east and the only shade is from my house (a ranch) and the trees that are behind my house. Most of my yard receives full sun most of the day. The very back of my yard receives some shade late in the day from the trees behind my house and the right side yard receives shade from my house itself. Other than that....like I said mostly full sun.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
So far, all I have planned is I want to plant vines around my fence and have them grow up and cover my whole fence.
Try one of these two on your fence,
PLANTS Profile for Aristolochia tomentosa (woolly dutchman's pipe) | USDA PLANTS
PLANTS Profile for Aristolochia macrophylla (pipevine) | USDA PLANTS

Clover native to Kentucky would be,
PLANTS Profile for Dalea purpurea (purple prairie clover) | USDA PLANTS
PLANTS Profile for Dalea candida (white prairie clover) | USDA PLANTS
They won't provide a living mulch under pines. They both require full sun and prefer a more neutral pH.

Here is a list for Shelby Co KY that you can look at for ideas,
http://plants.usda.gov/java/AdvancedSearchServlet

It's so much fun being able to plan for a garden.

Tags
attract birds, attract wildlife, audubon, audubon chapter, backyard habitat kit, backyard wildlife, birds, garden, habitat for birds, habitat gardening, habitat restoration, native plants for birds, plans, shelter plants, shelter plants for wildlife