Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #441
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Hmm...why not see if you can plant some of the black gum where you can view them from your balcony? You wouldn't have bird feeders up, but you sure would attract some birds!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #442

I took this yesterday. Normally I prefer a more natural background/setting, but when I noticed this junco perched on the handle of a hand trowel I left in my herb box, I had to take a picture.

We finally got some snow--but not as much as some of you may have been hit with (we only got about half an inch; I guess the lake-effect snow didn't reach us).
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-dsc06124.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #443
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

chickadee

That's a perfect photo for a magazine cover Dapjwy!

Wonderful suggestion for Sage..... to see if they or the housing authorities could plant a few bushes nearby. It can only enhance the property value. Lets hope *they* see it that way so it opens the way to future plantings and increased nature sightings!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #444
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

That is a great idea dap! And thanks for the ID too!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
That's a perfect photo for a magazine cover Dapjwy!
I don't know about that, but thanks, hava.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Wonderful suggestion for Sage..... to see if they or the housing authorities could plant a few bushes nearby. It can only enhance the property value. Lets hope *they* see it that way so it opens the way to future plantings and increased nature sightings!
...and hope they don't pick something other than the natives Sage will suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
That is a great idea dap! And thanks for the ID too!
No problem. Someone can double check me, but I *think* I'm right.

Are you allowed to plant anything yourself? If so, you have more control over what you pick.

I do think black gum would be an easy sell: it has beautiful glossy green leaves, AMAZING fall color, and good winter interest (horizontal branches and aligator-skin-like bark), only grows between 30-60 ft (I've seen 30-50 and 40-60, but I think of it as a fairly small tree). I'm just not sure what size they could buy due to the taproot...and they'd have to plant enough to ensure there are both male and female trees.

Let us know if it works out.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #446
WG Fundraising Coordinator

A downy woodpecker on the Chinkapin Oak this morning. I played with the burst mode to get shots of her going after insects in the bark.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-downy-w.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-downy-open-w.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-downy-eating-2-w.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-downy-eating-w.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-downy-2-w.jpg  

linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
A downy woodpecker on the Chinkapin Oak this morning. I played with the burst mode to get shots of her going after insects in the bark.

Great shots, linrose!

What is "burst mode"?

I bet you could line up all of the pictures and disolve between them making a pretty cool gif. file.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #448

Burst is just photos taken continuously while the shutter button is held down. I haven't fully explored it yet, just playing. I think I did 2 photos per second but I'm not sure, you can adjust the time between photos from 2 per second to 60 per second.

Tune in for more photo fun! My Chinkapin is just outside my second story home office window with a balcony, great for close ups of my favorite birds!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Burst is just photos taken continuously while the shutter button is held down. I haven't fully explored it yet, just playing. I think I did 2 photos per second but I'm not sure, you can adjust the time between photos from 2 per second to 60 per second.

Tune in for more photo fun! My Chinkapin is just outside my second story home office window with a balcony, great for close ups of my favorite birds!
Ah...I get it. I think I have a similar feature...I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

I look forward to seeing more pictures from you.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #450

And more from you too!

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker