Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #431
Heron

First snow and the first appearance of a white crowned sparrow of the year along with some of my regular guests.

~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-p1030144.jpg

~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-p1030145.jpg
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #432
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

First time I've ever seen the white crowned sparrow. I wonder if there are any in our zone?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #433
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
First snow and the first appearance of a white crowned sparrow of the year along with some of my regular guests.

Attachment 27825

Attachment 27826
I have a white crowned sparrow on occasion. I like them.

Are those a pair of the dreaded house sparrows in the foreground?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #434
WG Fundraising Coordinator

linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #435
WG Fundraising Coordinator

OK, yeah I know it's boring (sorry), but I'm playing with my new camera. It took me awhile to figure out how to focus on a moving object, I set up a tripod on the deck and walked away for about 20 minutes, it was windy (hence the windchime and microphone noise). Then I had to edit, upload to YouTube, which took forever, then try to remember how to post YouTube videos here. If anyone knows any YouTube tricks or techniques let me know, it's all brand new to me.

Oh, and I need to get a backup battery if I'm going to continue taking videos all the time, I can use up the charge in half a day and I don't want to miss a shot!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
OK, yeah I know it's boring (sorry), but I'm playing with my new camera. It took me awhile to figure out how to focus on a moving object, I set up a tripod on the deck and walked away for about 20 minutes, it was windy (hence the windchime and microphone noise). Then I had to edit, upload to YouTube, which took forever, then try to remember how to post YouTube videos here. If anyone knows any YouTube tricks or techniques let me know, it's all brand new to me.

Oh, and I need to get a backup battery if I'm going to continue taking videos all the time, I can use up the charge in half a day and I don't want to miss a shot!
Great clarity. I'm glad you are having fun playing with it and learning about the video capabilities.

Wow! Standing room only.

I can't think of any tips or techniques to share...I've only uploaded a few videos...and I still have trouble posting them directly here.

Good idea about back up batteries. Have fun.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #437
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I have a white crowned sparrow on occasion. I like them.

Are those a pair of the dreaded house sparrows in the foreground?
The most WCS's I've had at one time is only 2 and they only show up when the weather gets nasty and in early spring. Those are the Dreaded house sparrows in the foreground and believe me there is more than a pair. After successfully displacing the tree swallows that nest in the box by my garden this year plans are in the works for their forcible eviction!!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
The most WCS's I've had at one time is only 2 and they only show up when the weather gets nasty and in early spring. Those are the Dreaded house sparrows in the foreground and believe me there is more than a pair. After successfully displacing the tree swallows that nest in the box by my garden this year plans are in the works for their forcible eviction!!
Good luck with that! Sad that we have to deal with them.

I am lucky enough to have bluebirds and tree swallows...and so far, no house sparrows.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #439
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

bluebirdhappiness

I meant to post this earlier but it's from Dec 1, along the shore of Lake Ontario. How often would you see a pair of Bluebirds posed like this on such a pretty tree?

~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-p1080371.1.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
How often would you see a pair of Bluebirds posed like this on such a pretty tree?

Great shot, Sage!

By the looks of it, I'd say the tree is a black gum (Nyssa sylvatica)...my dad planted three of them in our front yard. The berries on the female trees are great for attracting fruit-eating birds. I planted several on our property. Perhaps, when my trees are mature enough to produce, I may see a pair posed on them fairly often. ...Or maybe the whole family!

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by dapjwy; 01-03-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker