Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #421
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Those are good!
You should enter a few into the P.O.M.!
~smile~ Thanks, havalotta.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #422
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Hah! I'm just a nosy Nellie!!! Thanks for the info!

And here's another question (sorry!), are those stills taken with the handycam? I know my new camera has video capabilities, pretty good ones according to the reviews. I've got to figure out the regular stuff first though and figure out how many minutes of video my SDHC 16GB card holds. I might have to move up to a SDXC 64GB card. I'm pretty sure I can pull stills off video too, I'm still learning. Then there's the playback and HDMI and 3D etc., etc. I'm pretty sure it'll take me a few months to fully explore all the features.

OK, now back to bird pix!!! I hope my turkeys come around soon, I haven't seen them for awhile.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #423
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I took these this morning through the window:
Makes me sad that we're not allowed to feed the birds anymore
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Hah! I'm just a nosy Nellie!!! Thanks for the info!
Nah, you are just curious.

I was just teasing you. Good questions...I want my photos to look as natural as possible, so I avoid pictures of birdfeeders. If I had naturally growing perches, I wouldn't have to stick sticks in the ground. (...but it is a good solution.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
And here's another question (sorry!), are those stills taken with the handycam? I know my new camera has video capabilities, pretty good ones according to the reviews. I've got to figure out the regular stuff first though and figure out how many minutes of video my SDHC 16GB card holds. I might have to move up to a SDXC 64GB card. I'm pretty sure I can pull stills off video too, I'm still learning. Then there's the playback and HDMI and 3D etc., etc. I'm pretty sure it'll take me a few months to fully explore all the features.

OK, now back to bird pix!!! I hope my turkeys come around soon, I haven't seen them for awhile.
They were taken as stills. I would like to learn how to get stills from video though--I know it is possible, I just have to look into it.

I still haven't learned all of the features in the Sony Handycam, but it has a lot less than you described! Good luck and have fun exploring.

I hope you get to see your turkeys again soon...and get some good shots to share as well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Makes me sad that we're not allowed to feed the birds anymore
Aww...that is sad.

I have read that it is unnatural for birds to congregate together like that (well different species of birds anyway), so it may be better for them if you don't. I try to move the feeder around the yard a bit to try to keep things cleaner for them...but I wonder if I should stop--and just provide natural foods.

Speaking of natural foods...could you make a dried arrangement out of sunflower seed heads (and some dried sunflowers to make it seem more like a decoration) and use that to feed the birds from your balcony--or make a swag to hang over the balcony...anything to get your bird feeding fix without technically breaking the rules?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #426

Except that the seed hulls and debris drop down outside the Board-member downstairs neighbor's sliders...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #427

Quote:
Except that the seed hulls and debris drop down outside the Board-member downstairs neighbor's sliders...
~sigh~ Why did you decided to live above a board member!?!?

If you are lucky, they will carry the seeds away to eat them...if not, tell her (or him) that your husband was eating sunflower seeds out on the balcony the other day, then roll your eyes and say, "See what I have to put up with," or something like that.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #428
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

We can see Dapjwy's actively trying for you Sage!
I feel for you not being able to draw the likable little critters near.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #429

I used to love seeing the woodpeckers at the suet cakes!

Every morning I throw a couple handfulls of unsalted peanuts down on the ground and within minutes, Blue Jays appear!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
We can see Dapjwy's actively trying for you Sage!
I feel for you not being able to draw the likable little critters near.
Yup, I tried.

Quote:
I used to love seeing the woodpeckers at the suet cakes!

Every morning I throw a couple handfulls of unsalted peanuts down on the ground and within minutes, Blue Jays appear!
At least you have that.

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker