Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #411
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Trying out my new Christmas present, a cardinal taken with zoom at 34X.

What a great present!

Nice shot...and thanks for reviving this thread. With birds coming to the feeders, we should all have something to contribute here.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #412
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I am playing with my new toys, I am replying to you on my Kindle Fire! I'm not a texter so it's taking me forever to type this. Having too much fun! I've just begun to experiment with the camera, I haven't tried any manual settings yet. Can't wait!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #413

Quote:
I am playing with my new toys, I am replying to you on my Kindle Fire! I'm not a texter so it's taking me forever to type this. Having too much fun! I've just begun to experiment with the camera, I haven't tried any manual settings yet. Can't wait!

Your excitement is coming through clearly on your hunted-and-pecked message.

Have fun playing and learning...and sharing?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #414
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

LUCKY you!!!!!
SOMEONE'S having fun! What kind did you end up getting?

I just took a look at a full chips worth of the poor quality photos that my horribly scratched lenz has taken this past month...Once all this seasonal celebrating is over with I'm going to do a quick review of my saved camera notes and GET that new camera I've been longing for. I sure hope I can buy one local! It will more than likely be the one Sage now has or her last recommendation (Its new model) once I read its review.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #415

I received the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150. So far it's been great! I shot a few macros and they are amazing. I'll probably end up getting the adapter and teleconverter lens for really long shots but on automatic settings it's done pretty well. This is a photo of a dogwood branch taken from the house to a tree half way across the field, about 20X.
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-dogwood-branch.jpg

Hunt and pecked is right! The Kindle is bigger than a cell phone but smaller than an iPad, I suppose I could hold it in both hands and type with my thumbs like my daughter does with her iPhone but I hold it on one hand and peck with the other. I'm going to use it for web stuff only when I'm away from my computer. I will mostly use it for borrowing books from their library (you get one a month free) and playing games like Angry Birds and Quell (I'm totally addicted!!!) I also got Hulu Plus on it so I can watch TV shows I missed. I really should be reading more books though, that was the idea in the first place!

Here's another, non-zoomed photo of sunrise this morning. I think using manual settings I could have gotten more out of it. I'm going to start with aperture priority settings and see where that takes me.
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-december-morning-s.jpg

So far by reducing the original photo (4000 x 3000 pixels, around 4MB) to 25% (1000 x 750, around 400k) the upload time here is no problem.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #416

Quote:
I received the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150. So far it's been great! I shot a few macros and they are amazing. I'll probably end up getting the adapter and teleconverter lens for really long shots but on automatic settings it's done pretty well. This is a photo of a dogwood branch taken from the house to a tree half way across the field, about 20X.
I *love* the idea of being able to get a close up like that from a distance.

We are now looking forward to some great shots from you!

Quote:
Hunt and pecked is right! The Kindle is bigger than a cell phone but smaller than an iPad, I suppose I could hold it in both hands and type with my thumbs like my daughter does with her iPhone but I hold it on one hand and peck with the other. I'm going to use it for web stuff only when I'm away from my computer. I will mostly use it for borrowing books from their library (you get one a month free) and playing games like Angry Birds and Quell (I'm totally addicted!!!) I also got Hulu Plus on it so I can watch TV shows I missed. I really should be reading more books though, that was the idea in the first place!
I didn't know about the once-a-month-free-book from the library...I'll have to tell Jeff, he is an avid reader....and an Angry Birds addict too . (Well, maybe addict is a strong word.) I'm sure you'll find a balance between Hulu Plus, Angry Birds, and reading.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #417

Default My Turn

I took these this morning through the window:
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-dsc06083-cropped.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-chickadee-crop-2-b.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-dsc06091-2.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-dsc06086-crop-b.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-dsc06096-cropped.jpg  

Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #418

Nice! I love the peeled bark, is that a brushpile or a live tree they are perched on? Is there a feeder nearby? Any snow up your way? It's in the 50's here - mild and breezy - the birds are visiting the feeder but not as much as when there is snow on the ground. Good crisp shots, what kind of camera?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #419
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Those are good!
You should enter a few into the P.O.M.!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #420

Quote:
Nice!
Thanks.

Quote:
...is that a brushpile or a live tree they are perched on?
It is a branch I saved from when the road crew was cutting the branches above the road. I put it in the ground for a perch as there are no trees close by the window--yet. I will likely have some shrubs at least when I figure out what to plant.

Quote:
Is there a feeder nearby?
There is seed on the ground for now. I plan to make a natural looking feeder one of these days--I used to do that in my youth (I must've been 18 or so).

Quote:
Any snow up your way?
Until last night, I'd have said none...but we got a dusting last night, but most of it has melted by now.

Quote:
It's in the 50's here - mild and breezy - the birds are visiting the feeder but not as much as when there is snow on the ground.
Low 40s today and tomorrow, but we are supposed to be at 47 on Sunday, I think. I'm loving it, but you are right, there seem to be fewer birds coming to the feeder in this mild weather. I'm just starting to see them...then again, I hadn't been looking much lately.

Quote:
Good crisp shots, what kind of camera?
Thanks. It is a Sony handycam.

...Any other questions? ~wink~

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker