Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #361
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I second that, havalotta.
Thanks! Actually it's not a good pic because the white is blown. Photographing white and black in birds is difficult, esp without a dslr. But I do what I can do and to us it looks good.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #362
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You go get that photo and put it in...... You can hear me nice and bold now can't you?
Let Dave be the judge of that one and...... never mind worrying about that white!
I'd like to see someone else win besides me.... I'm feeling like a game hog over there.
I was going to stop submitting photos into the P.O.M. but they tell me I'd be missed.......
It's really nice to be wanted but I do feel a bit guilty about winning so many in a row
Go get em ~Sage~

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #363
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dapjwy...
The only time a post will follow right after your writing is when you are commenting on the very last thing someone has talked about...
For instance if you tell me you just read this. Your comment will be below my entry. If you comment below post #6 and we've already had 53 posted comments in the thread your comment will show up as #54

Hope this has helped you understand things a little better.
havalotta, i *just* read this (a day later). Thanks for taking the time to explain. I've also started jumping between hybrid and linear modes--that is helping me find my place more.

Thanks again.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #364
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
havalotta, i *just* read this (a day later). Thanks for taking the time to explain. I've also started jumping between hybrid and linear modes--that is helping me find my place more.

Thanks again.
BTW, I just searched for my response above. When viewed in hybrid mode, it *does* branch off and does not appear on the bottom as it must in linear mode.

I've enjoyed catching up on several threads while viewing in hybrid mode...it allows me to see how things relate--my only problem has been on rare occassions messages that had appeared as 'unread' suddenly appear as all read (even though I had not opened/viewed them yet). Anyway, thanks for trying to help...I'll keep muddling my way through with trial and error with the view options.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #365
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
my only problem has been on rare occassions messages that had appeared as 'unread' suddenly appear as all read (even though I had not opened/viewed them yet). Anyway, thanks for trying to help...I'll keep muddling my way through with trial and error with the view options.
Once you have logged in, you will see how many unread posts you have in the upper right hand corner....
Those are the posts people have put in since you last visited the sight.

As you read those, the number obviously lessens, however......
If you should log off and then come back into the sight at a later time.... it will now have a new number of unread posts in that same area.
I think it figures you have read all that you had cared to read and starts the count all over again ...showing only the NEWEST posts you've missed.

If you have not finished reading all the posts you had wanted to .... All you need to do is click onto the unread posts area in the upper right and then scroll down past the unread posts to find the ones you haven't read yet......

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #366
Grub

dragonfly01 Chicken pix

Lorax, to get photos of birds that move, set the selector on your camera to action photos. The icon is usually a skier - looks kinda like a lightning zag with a ball (head) on top. I have some nice photos of birds landing at the hanging feeders, so I know it works. And you don't have to stick to chickens any more. Unless you want to. have fun...
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #367

Lorax, what is your cam make/model again? If you have an "S" on the dial, that's for shutter speed. To catch birds or other moving targets, you need as high a shutter speed, e.g., 1/800, as you can get. It will be determined by other conditions, esp. lighting. When you press the button, if you get a reprimanding sound from the camera or you see red back off on the high speed a bit til you get the nice sound .

You cannot use automatic settings with much success when shooting moving subjects.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #368
Fox

Default I believe this is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk...

...although it could be a Rough-legged Hawk. The pics aren't really clear enough to be decisive. Because of that I usually wouldn't share them but these aren't completely without merit.

~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-juhy-002.jpg
Here he is on the treetop
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-juhy-005.jpg
He's checking me out as I stealthily approach him (yeah right)
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-juhy-006.jpg
He doesn't want anything to do with me. His decision came at an advantageous time for me, coinciding with a shutter click.
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-juhy-002yum.jpg
A crop of the first image. What do you think is on his mind right now, and what's on the mind of the little guy? I just love this image. I wish I had the equipment/know-how to catch these moments better.
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #369

Nice captures!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #370
Fox

I had to pull over for an ambulance today and when I did, I saw this gull feeding on a small fish (probably caught and left by an ice fisherman) with a couple of crows keeping close in on him. I pulled over and started taking some pics of their interaction. Off camera a third crow was keeping a second gull from getting close. The first gull eventually took off with the fish but dropped it and the crows went at it. As I left, the gulls were mounting a counter-offensive.

~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-013.jpg~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-014.jpg~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-016.jpg~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-017.jpg
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker