Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #121
Official Plant Nerd

fishlkmich> Sorry about your BB eggs. What repulses me about those birds is they build their nests over the top of the eggs they destroyed and any BB's they killed. It's hard to look into a BB nest box that has been "visited". rjbman> nice turkeys. We get a stray turkey passing through every once in a while but no displays such as what you photographed.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #122
Salamander

Did I post this one yet? My better half took it the last time I took her to my bluebird trail and martin colony. We took some feathers along for the tree swallows to "play" with. It's a riot watching them follow the guy with the feather until he decides to drop it and the quickest bird on his tail grabs it, then on it goes until one scoots into his/her house to add the feather to the nest. The Sparrow Spooker that he is perched on shows just how little they bother birds other than HOSP.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-spooker.jpg  
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #123
WG Staff

Beautiful photograph of a sparrow spooker. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #124
Official Plant Nerd

What did you use to make your sparrow spooker? That material looks better than what I use.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #125
Pope

While I was out of town last week the barn swallows on the porch hatched. Just two days ago their eyes were still closed and they looked like grumpy old men, but this morning they are looking, well, awake at least. After the constant rain of the past few days they probably did not get much to eat, but mom and dad have been busy this morning.

(Oops. I named the image file "sparrows," but of course they are swallows. I should never type before my first cup of tea!)
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-sparrows1.jpg  
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #126
Official Plant Nerd

You guys get all the good photos with birds in them. All I get are nests! I am sooooooo jealous. Here's a robin's nest I discovered at a nursery. They said the babies had fledged the day before. Story of my life. A day late and a dollar short. It was disconcerting to see the plastic bag woven into the nest.
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-robinsnest.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #127
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

One of the Barn Swallow parents near the nest ready to dive-bomb me if I get any closer! And their newly hatched little babies!

This nest is under an awning over a door to the maintenance area of the university and next to big garage doors. They perch on a "butt bin"! :eek:

This is also very near the Peregrine nestbox with four chicks who are just a couple weeks from fledging. Blog
Attached Thumbnails
~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-p1140297ed.jpg   ~Avian Photography~  Post your bird pix!-p1140303.jpg  
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #128
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh, yes, I did photoshop the bird!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #129
Pope

Sage, your barn swallows are at the grumpy old man stage too (apologies to grumpy old men everywhere--no insult intended, however well deserved). I've just done a head count and there are 5 in the nest on my porch! They'll be spilling out like champagne soon.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #130
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
What did you use to make your sparrow spooker? That material looks better than what I use.
I use 1" conduit to mount my bluebird boxes on. I leave about 2' of pole above the house. To make the Sparrow Spookers I get an old 2X4 and drill 1" holes every 4", or so. Then I cut in between the holes so that I have a 5" piece of 2X4 with a hole in it. I get 1/4" dowel rod and cut them in half (3' @ 94 cents each) and drill angled holes to accept the dowel rod and create a "V" shape over the bluebird house. I found the Mylar at the Dollar Store. It was a birthday banner. I just cut strips of it and use duct tape to hold it on. Then I use more duct tape at the correct height to stop the 2X4 with the hole in it when I slide it over the top of the pole. It should be set so that the Mylar just brushes the top of the house. Beats $19.99 + shipping!
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avian, avian photography, bird, bird photographs, bird photos, bird pictures, birds, blue jays, bluebird, cardinal, caspian, chickadee, glossy ibis, hawk, heron, hosp, junco, pigeon, sapsucker, stork, turkey vulture, white ibis, wild birds, wood stork, woodpecker