Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Blue Grosbeak!

Looked out my kitchen window this morning and saw the bluest bird I've ever seen--it certainly wasn't a bluebird!
Then I grabbed my binoculars and got a good look at it as it sat briefly at a safflower feeder and then moved to the garden fence to look around for a while.
When I went to get my camera, I realized it was in the glove compartment of the car--no way to get to it without possibly startling it.

The kids and I watched until it flew out of sight in the neighbor's direction and then found out it was a Blue Grosbeak.
I saw my first live Rose-breasted Grosbeak here last year, and though I don't consider myself a "Birder", I wanted to share the excitement with other wildlife lovers who would appreciate it.

(You can believe I have the camera ready and waiting for him now!)
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Wonderful!
I have never seen the blue grosbeak. The rose breasted yes but not the blue.
Looked it up and it is a very pretty bird. Stays futher south than here.
Once an indigo bunting showed up three days in a row in the backyard. Smaller than a grosbeak. At first I thought it was some one's escaped pet.

Hope you get that picture.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Heron

My mom gets indigo buntings at her feeders regularly. I am jealous.

But I've never seen a blue grosbeak either.

~ green frouper
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Carbon

I've only seen a blue grosbeak study skin here at my school. Beautiful birds, but we don't get em up here in the northy maritime reaches.
beesknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Count me in with everyone else who has never seen one before. Keep your camera ready!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Salamander

They ARE beautiful. If you're feeding birds, they are attracted to white priso millet seeds. They love grass seeds; I lived 3 years in an old cow pasture that was full of bahia grass, mostly uncut. I saw blue grosbeak, indigo bunting, and painted bunting feeding on bahia grass seeds.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Grub

I've seen rose-breasted grosbeaks and indigo buntings at the feeders in past years (both in the same year, too). Each year brings different variety. This year I had baltimore orioles stop by during migration, and they hung out for a couple of weeks. Indigo buntings look like small deeply blue-colored sparrows.

Keep pulling the invasives, planting wildlife-friendly native vegetation, and more will follow.

Dan
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Pope

Very exciting! Teresa, they must be in Maryland these days because I saw one perched on my fence just last week. I had to get my bird book because I had never seen one before (all I knew was that it was too big to be an indigo bunting). I've been waiting for mine to come back too; must have stopped by your place?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avian, avian species, bird, bird species, birds, blue, blue grosbeak, grosbeak, indigo bunting