Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Birdhouses for Chickadees or Wrens

My spouse has a new table-saw (his first) and is going to try it out by making a couple birdhouses with our youngest.

The plans they have are for a house that can be used by either wrens or chickadees, depending on the size of the entrance.

I didn't know which to tell them to make--my guess was that the species that uses the smaller entrance could probably also use a box made with a larger entrance--I'm guessing chickadees need a larger opening.

Any thoughts? I think they're planning to hang one my laundry-line pole if that makes a difference!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Mentor

If the house will be hanging, I suggest you see if house wrens are in your area (I'd be surprised if they were not). The entrance holes are given here

I prefer to use poles because the houses are more stable as if they were attached to a tree but less accessible to predators.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Salamander

The 1 1/8" hole will work for both and exclude non-native house sparrows. That's the way to go. I believe that they prefer a fixed house, as opposed to one that swings. I do have tree swallows that nest in gourds that swing, so they don't always think the same way we do about what they like best.
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Salamander

We have wrens and chickadees year-round. Not sure what kind of wren--I'd guessed they were Winter- or House-, but they have a fairly bright eyebrow and a lighter breast.

I ran an errand last night and the bird house was finished and hung when I returned.

We're just planning to see who uses that one, and will try some other locations, and entrance sizes, too.

Thanks for the feedback!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Salamander

Sounds like a Carolina Wren if it has a distinct supercilium (eyebrow). I had a pair for a couple of years around my place. They could wake the dead with the volume of their call. They can't take a hard winter and don't migrate, so northern populations decrease significantly during hard winters. They won't want to nest in that box if that's what they are. They tend to nest in some odd places.
fishlkmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Mentor

saw a carolina wren nesting in a small tree tube type guard last year, guess all the good spots were already taken. That place has at least raccoons if not snakes, so didn't seem like a good place to be.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birdhouse, birdhouse entrance, birdhouse entrance hole, birdhouses, carolina wren, chickadee, chickadee birdhouses, chickadees, hole sizes for birdhouses, tree swallows, wren, wren birdhouse, wrens