Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuni View Post
Does anyone know the extent of the range used by backyard birds to find food, shelter and water? We are just starting a new garden which will focus on native and wildlife-friendly plants. However, currently there are almost no birds in the neighborhood (and few gardens.) If we build it, will they come?
I should have added to my original reply: I don't know what the typical range is for back yard birds. My guess is that you will first see the non-natives like house sparrows and starlings. The others will come as your plants grow up. Be sure to include a water feature.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Wow! Your yard sounds beautiful. I don't think I will ever have foxes here. At least deer aren't an issue, though, so that's a plus. I don't have an official yard list, so I can't say how many species we have seen, but there is a lot of variety, especially during the migration seasons.
I grow natives from seed by winter sowing every year. I have about 50 varieties in flats in my back yard this year. We shall see what spring brings!
That is awesome!

I hope to winter sow again this year, but I doubt I'll have anywhere near 50 flats.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
That is awesome!

I hope to winter sow again this year, but I doubt I'll have anywhere near 50 flats.
Our winter started out cold, but dry. We shall see if the seeds just froze in the flats before they were covered with snow. We've got plenty of snow now!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Our winter started out cold, but dry. We shall see if the seeds just froze in the flats before they were covered with snow. We've got plenty of snow now!
I'm sure that, come spring you will have plenty of seedlings, too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

No school ALL last week because of the ice storms. Monday they went to school Tuesday A white out and a ton of snow-Most we've had in years...Snow out front is piled up HIGHER that my hips! Wednesday- today no school to unbury ourselves and tomorrow another blizzard. Oh boy! May as well wait to shovel till tomorrow blows past.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
No school ALL last week because of the ice storms. Monday they went to school Tuesday A white out and a ton of snow-Most we've had in years...Snow out front is piled up HIGHER that my hips! Wednesday- today no school to unbury ourselves and tomorrow another blizzard. Oh boy! May as well wait to shovel till tomorrow blows past.
Wow! You all are dealing with a lot!

We were off yesterday--much less snow than predicted...then once overnight which resulted in a 2-hour delay.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #17
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
We've had a fair amount of snow here, but the ice has been the real problem. Schools have been closed more than open for the last couple of weeks. My son sent me a couple of photos from his Marquette yard. LOTS of snow in the UP! We are getting a bit of a break today, with temps approaching 40 degrees. You may as well just tuck in with a good book (or craft projects!) and wait for spring!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
We've had a fair amount of snow here, but the ice has been the real problem. Schools have been closed more than open for the last couple of weeks. My son sent me a couple of photos from his Marquette yard. LOTS of snow in the UP! We are getting a bit of a break today, with temps approaching 40 degrees. You may as well just tuck in with a good book (or craft projects!) and wait for spring!
I have a four-day weekend...I am hoping to sort and sow my seeds this weekend the let the freezing and thawing cycles get them ready to germinate.

Then, I will likely stay in and do the Great Backyard Bird Count.

I'm glad you are getting a reprieve. Yes, the ice is worse than the snow.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
Grub

Check out this link for a list of the best plants for caterpillars https://www.nwf.org/NativePlantFinder/ . After some more research I see that birds will be the most attracted by the caterpillars in your yard, rather attracted by the plants themselves. Of course, no plants no caterpillars. Build a food web
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
Check out this link for a list of the best plants for caterpillars https://www.nwf.org/NativePlantFinder/ . After some more research I see that birds will be the most attracted by the caterpillars in your yard, rather attracted by the plants themselves. Of course, no plants no caterpillars. Build a food web
Yup! Pack your space with high-value host plants and the birds will come and stay.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attracting, backyard, birds