Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #31
Heron

Lets get back to birds, hummers are bold, and they also have a hard time in winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Bewick's wren year round.-1hummers-snow.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #32
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildale View Post
Lets get back to birds, hummers are bold, and they also have a hard time in winter.
Now, that's not a sight you would see here n MAssachusetts!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You have humming birds YEAR ROUND! Awesome!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #34
Heron

Yes, we have them the year round, the Anna's. A few years ago I saw a hummer hovering where the feeder was that I had taken in for the winter. This was Oct 4th, so I put a fresh feeder out and have had them since.
Attached Thumbnails
Bewick's wren year round.-hummers-snow.jpg   Bewick's wren year round.-hummers-snow1.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #35
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

How could you have them way up in Canada? Do they Winter over there from the southern states?
I'd think the little guys would fly someplace warm`

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #36
Heron

Here on the island we sometimes don't get any snow. When we do, I have to take pictures for future use. At the moment, we haven't had any rain since April.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #37
Grub

Speaking of Bewick's wren. I learned the pronunciation on an episode of Bones. The plot was that this woman had killed (and dismembered) her neighbor, because he let his cat roam and she was protecting a Bewick's wren. If they pronounced it correctly, it sounds just like Buick.

Also on a related note. I have never seen one in person. However, I captured this wren on my webcam a couple of years ago. I thought it was a Carolina wren, and we had an extensive discussion here in the birding community about it. The consensus was Bewick's wren, which would be quite rare here in Minnesota. Since I only had this one screen capture, and never saw it in person, I didn't feel comfortable submitting an official report even though several people wanted me to. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Bewick's wren year round.-bewr.jpg  
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #38
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymell View Post
Speaking of Bewick's wren. I learned the pronunciation on an episode of Bones. The plot was that this woman had killed (and dismembered) her neighbor, because he let his cat roam and she was protecting a Bewick's wren. If they pronounced it correctly, it sounds just like Buick.
Intereting connection. Thanks for sharing.

I always thought Bones looked like a good show, but don't watch too much TV anymore, perhaps it would be worth binge watching.

Quote:

Also on a related note. I have never seen one in person. Howenver, I captured this wren on my webcam a couple of years ago. I thought it was a Carolina wren, and we had an extensive discussion here in the birding community about it. The consensus was Bewick's wren, which would be quite rare here in Minnesota. Since I only had this one screen capture, and never saw it in person, I didn't feel comfortable submitting an official report even though several people wanted me to. What do you think?
I'm not very aware of protocol in this kind of thing...I just enjoy birdwatching as an amateur and for enjoyment...but, could you submit the photo and let the experts (who compile the official report) decide to add it or not?

Just a thought.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #39
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Intereting connection. Thanks for sharing.

I always thought Bones looked like a good show, but don't watch too much TV anymore, perhaps it would be worth binge watching.

I'm not very aware of protocol in this kind of thing...I just enjoy birdwatching as an amateur and for enjoyment...but, could you submit the photo and let the experts (who compile the official report) decide to add it or not?

Just a thought.
I haven't really ever watched an episode either, just caught last few minutes as I was waiting for something else to come on. Regarding the bird ID, I was just curious if you could tell from the attached screenshot as to whether you agreed it was a Bewick's wren.
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #40
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
I haven't really ever watched an episode either, just caught last few minutes as I was waiting for something else to come on. Regarding the bird ID, I was just curious if you could tell from the attached screenshot as to whether you agreed it was a Bewick's wren.
I'm no expert, but surely some on here are. Hope they can help.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bewick, round, wren, year