Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
Grub

Default any HOSP moves also safely discourage house wrens?

All,

I'm expanding my question a bit. Even though house wrens are native I prefer they don't use the nest-boxes because they hurt other birds if there is a dispute over the space. It is illegal to mess with their nests since they're native but will any of these methods discourage them but not chickadees or downies?

dapjwy,

I hope the house sparrows stay manageable near you. The idea of supplying them to a bird rehab place mentioned would make it easier but even if it's the right thing I think I'd be too squeamish about it.

Lori
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Salamander

From what I have heard it is legal to remove the dummy nests that the male House Wrens build. I worry about the Wrens, too, but so far they did not try nesting here until late in the season after the others are done. Even so, if I see a pair looking at a box, I open it up. Last year they were interested in the roosting box which has a hole near the bottom, rather than top. Well, I opened the top and they moved on. I actually think they ended up nesting in a brush pile. Other than that I will let nature take its course. I've heard of several things people do to discourage House Wrens, but they are technically not legal.

From what I understand, the methods discouraging HOSP will not discourage the little wrens. There is no hole too small for them.

About dealing with HOSP, it's been easier once we had boys old enough to use pellet guns. I can understand your squeamishness, Loris. I did not ever like the other, but having a biting female did make that one easier to deal with.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
Alternate POM Judge

As long as the nest boxes are away from the woods the house wrens won't nest in them in this area.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
Grub

I hope you're right. I've had them use a birdhouse high in the trees before I knew that the kind that can swing would only be used by house sparrows and house wrens. This birdhouse is fixed on a pole and although fairly close too some mature shrubs this part of the yard is sunnier and less like a woods.

Thanks. -- Lori
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by loris View Post
dapjwy,

I hope the house sparrows stay manageable near you. The idea of supplying them to a bird rehab place mentioned would make it easier but even if it's the right thing I think I'd be too squeamish about it.

Lori
Thanks, loris. So far, I've not seen them around anymore. Whew.

The bluebird pair built their nest in their favorite box--the one they use every year. I'm so happy that they returned...for some reason, after this bad winter, I was afraid I'd lost them.

Last year, I asked a bird rehab place nearby about providing birds, they didn't seem interested at all. I hope never to have to trap and kill house sparrows or European starlings.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
Grub

Hi dapjwy,

I'm glad the house sparrows are gone for you. I was surprised about the rehab place not being interested in captures. Maybe it's related to concerns about health and/or needing a steady supply.

Lor
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #17
Grub

Quote:
All,

I'm expanding my question a bit. Even though house wrens are native I prefer they don't use the nest-boxes because they hurt other birds if there is a dispute over the space. It is illegal to mess with their nests since they're native but will any of these methods discourage them but not chickadees or downies?

dapjwy,

Lori
I'm late to respond, but I thought I'd answer for future reference. HOWR are indeed native so you can't trap or destroy nests. However what you can do is put up a wren guard on the box. I live in prime HOWR habitat and have still managed to have successful chickadee and bluebird nests in my yard, even alongside the HOWR. I wrote some instructions to build a simple wren guard with photos. Wren Guard Photo Gallery by Liz Stanley at pbase.com. Also a couple of other things I do for the bluebirds, is put on a Noel guard immediately after taking off the wren guard, to protect from raccoons (learned that lesson the hard way.) And at the same time, I make a new nest, take the chicks out and get rid of the old nest, and put them in the new nest. The original nest is almost always full of blowfly larvae.
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #18
Grub

gymell,

Thanks for the information. That should help if we ever get chickadees in the nest box again.

Lori
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #19
Grub

Quote:
gymell,

Thanks for the information. That should help if we ever get chickadees in the nest box again.

Lori
Make sure to put it on immediately after the first egg is laid. The chickadees will find their way around it pretty quickly.
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymell View Post
I'm late to respond, but I thought I'd answer for future reference. HOWR are indeed native so you can't trap or destroy nests. However what you can do is put up a wren guard on the box. I live in prime HOWR habitat and have still managed to have successful chickadee and bluebird nests in my yard, even alongside the HOWR. I wrote some instructions to build a simple wren guard with photos. Wren Guard Photo Gallery by Liz Stanley at pbase.com. Also a couple of other things I do for the bluebirds, is put on a Noel guard immediately after taking off the wren guard, to protect from raccoons (learned that lesson the hard way.) And at the same time, I make a new nest, take the chicks out and get rid of the old nest, and put them in the new nest. The original nest is almost always full of blowfly larvae.
Thanks for the tip, Gymell. I lost a chickadee nesting this Spring to wrens, so I'll be looking forward to trying this technique next year at nesting time...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birdhouse, building, hosp, house sparrow prevention, prevent