Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Do window grids help prevent bird strikes?

Hi. I am doing a rebuild of a cabin that has 4 six-foot sliding glass patio doors. From your experience, do windows that have the integral decorative grilles help to prevent bird strikes? This hasn't been a problem yet, but as it's a wildlife restoration area, I'll be planting trees for native habitat. Mesh netting would be really difficult on this project as the cabin has to remain wheelchair-accessible through the sliding patio doors.

Here is an example of the doors I'm pondering: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...ductId=3191525

It seems possible that the small grids would be a visual deterrent as obstacles. Is this valid thinking?

Cheers, and thank you in advance for insight.
Zoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Alternate POM Judge

Hello Zoopster. I think that looks like it would work. Much better than all clear glass. I have that pattern on my house windows and birds very rarely fly into the windows.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Carbon

Very good, and thank you EllenW. I've been obsessing a bit over door choices, and it's great to get your input.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Hippie Gardener

Sure seems like that should help. We have two large picture windows, one in front and one in back. The front one has never been a problem, but the back one is. I've tried hanging sunchatchers, falcon silhouettes, and other things. It helps, but I still get the occasional "crash". Probably when the light is just right to reflect the backyard trees into the window. I think the doors you are looking at would break up any reflection enough to prevent crashes. It also helps to place any bird feeders - if you'll have them - far enough away to prevent panicked crashes when birds scatter quickly due to a predator or anything else that startles them all.

The cabin sounds NICE! Hope you'll share some photos as the work progresses
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Salamander

Unless the grilles are outside, they won't help. Too many birds have died after crashing into our windows with the same type of thing. Ellen, is your pattern between the glass or on the outside of the glass? The stuff between layers doesn't seem to break the reflection. They are made to look like panes, but with easier cleaning.

We put ABC bird tape on our most prone windows. One is the big picture window without the "panes", but the others all have the grilles. The other windows get washed in mud.
What causes bird collisions with windows?

For some reason, these windows just do not handle the extreme colds we have here and have had at least one crack in the winter months. Some winters more. We got so tired of replacing them, we just covered the cracks with packing tape and left as is. My husband wants to get a different style all together. This may not be a problem with patio doors, but maybe look into that.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

My windows have the pattern between the glass. The bird tape or patterns that you can put on glass work very well.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #7
Carbon

Excellent, it's great to get your feedback, and I'll definitely try the bird tape as well. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Salamander

Here are some photos.

Here is our front window with the tape. It took a little time getting used to, but we felt it was well worth it.
Do window grids help prevent bird strikes?-birdtape.jpg

I wasn't focusing on the window, but the Red Admiral. This shows some of the reflection the window would have in bright light.
Do window grids help prevent bird strikes?-admiral.jpg

This was interesting. We never had a Barn Swallow attempt nesting next to the window until we put the tape up. They prefer over the door. They didn't even use a ledge.
Do window grids help prevent bird strikes?-bswallow.jpg

I just remembered Collidescapes. It was something we looked into, but found the cost a bit more than the tape. Have you ever seen those big sticker-like things on McDonald's windows that show whatever products? Looking out from the inside, you can see right through it. That's what Collidescapes is similar to.
keep birds from hitting windows collision privacy energy savings film
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Carbon

Cool, thank you for the information, and it'll come in handy. I'm intrigued by the Collidescapes as well.
That's pretty amazing that Barn Swallows can nest without a ledge. Very cool.

Tags
bird, grids, prevent, sliding door, strikes, window