Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

hummer They're back!

The hummingbirds are back! I was just out on the deck and heard that distinctive chipping and whirring around my head. The two hummers hovered around where the feeder usually is, I rushed in and found the feeder and filled it and set it out. Hopefully they'll come back soon. The ant moat I left out all winter is cracked so I'll need to replace it, they and other birds come to drink from it!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'm so happy for you.
I learned something today. I never knew they chirped!
I immediately went to check it out here: eNature: FieldGuides: Search Results
Never thought about it I guess nor have I ever had one come close enough "to" hear.
Without you sharing that little tidbit I might have never heard one. Thank you!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
Co-Administrator

hummer Hummingbird News: April 22, 2015

Hummingbird News: April 22, 2015
By Mary Hosier
Journey North
Learner.org
Quote:
Courtship is a dramatic time for hummingbirds. Both males and females are following instincts telling them it is time to breed. Males start by puffing out the gorget to flash iridescence in the sunlight, then engaging in specialized flight behavior to attract a female.
Quote:
Ruby-throats Reach 43N
Hungry Ruby-throats arrived this week in Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, and Massachusetts.
Quote:
Rufous Continuing East
Rufous are holding steady at 58N in Alaska. At lower latitudes they're moving east into Montana following a migration pattern typical for late April.
Quote:
Western Species Highlights
A variety of western hummingbird species have arrived in higher elevations this week
Hummingbird Migration: Citizen Scientists Track Hummingbird Migration with Journey North

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Co-Administrator

hummer Hummingbird News: April 29, 2015

Hummingbird News: April 29, 2015
By Mary Hosier
Journey North
Learner.org
Quote:
Along the trail, flowers and feeders are providing nectar to fuel the migration. Watch the maps and get your feeders ready!
Quote:
The migration is advancing steadily. You can draw a line across the eastern half of the continent at 41N and see the Ruby-throat leading edge. Watch for change last week's unseasonably cold and rainy weather north of this line is forecast to warm up later in the week.
Quote:
Rufous in Montana
Rufous migration moved into Montana with a cluster of sightings from Kalispell north to East Glacier Park.
Hummingbird Migration: Citizen Scientists Track Hummingbird Migration with Journey North

Old 05-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #15
Co-Administrator

hummer Hummingbird News: May 6, 2015

Hummingbird News: May 6, 2015
By Mary Hosier
Journey North
Learner.org
Quote:
Hundreds were excited this week to report their first Ruby-throat as the migration advanced north to 49N.
Quote:
There was an EXPLOSION of sighting reports this week as the winds cooperated and Northeast states finally had warm weather. Ruby-throats moved north into Nova Scotia and crossed Lake Superior into Ontario.
Quote:
Rufous Reach 61N
This week Rufous hummingbirds arrived at 61N, close to the northernmost edge of their breeding range.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #16

According to the charts they have finally arrived in our area.
Standing by... awaiting our first sighting.

It was fun following along in their migrations with the charts. Thanks for posting them

Old 05-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #17
Co-Administrator

hummer Hummingbird News: May 13, 2015

Hummingbird News: May 13, 2015
By Mary Hosier
Journey North
Learner.org
Quote:
Females are arriving into male territories.
It's time for mating and nest building.
Quote:
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds continue to push north to the edges of their range. Sightings were reported in northern Maine and ...
Quote:
Rufous Migrate to Interior
The Rufous migration is following the typical spring pattern. This week Rufous were sighted in eastern British Columbia and Alberta.
Quote:
In Ivins, Utah a storm last weekend brought in so many hummingbirds that Anna's, Costa's, and Black-chinned all arrived at feeders the same day.
Quote:
Slideshow: Building a Nest
Female hummers arrive and mate in the spring. What materials do they use to build a nest?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #18

Back on the 7th when I was talking about not seeing any hummers yet, Wouldn't you know it... I DID see one that very afternoon!
I was so thrilled to see him I stopped in my tracks and watched him for quite a while before he moved off in a whir

Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
Co-Administrator

hummer Hummingbird News: May 20, 2015

Hummingbird News: May 20, 2015
By Mary Hosier
Journey North
Learner.org
Quote:
Ruby-throats are approaching the end of the migration trail. They pushed past last week's frontiers arriving north of the Great Lakes and west into Alberta, Canada.
Quote:
The Costa's hummingbird is most likely found in the desert and semi-desert landscape and adjacent mountains in the Southwest states.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:46 AM   #20
Co-Administrator

hummer Hummingbird News: June 3, 2015

Hummingbird News: June 3, 2015
By Mary Hosier
Journey North
Learner.org
Quote:
This week observers in Alberta reported Rufous and Ruby-throats arriving. Each year these two species' breeding ranges intersect in western Canada.
Quote:
Hummingbird expert Lanny Chambers says one reason for the lull in sightings this time of year is females are tending their nests. Females are out in search of insects and spiders for their chicks. In addition, abundant natural nectar is available.
Quote:
What flowers will you see hummingbirds nectaring on in your area?

Tags
2015, hummingbird, migration, spring, track