Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Default ~Herons!!!

I've now got gazillions of Green Heron pix from our favorite place, Tillman Swamps. They are so comical!

~Herons!!!-p1930401-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930375-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930404-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930419.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930534-version-2.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Very cool!

I've only seen them in a field guide...until last week, when I swear I saw one at the edge of a pond we were driving past. It was not a busy road; Jeff had already slowed down because we saw two deer on the road side of the pond. They were startled and crossed the road. Jeff backed up to see what I was talking about, but by then, it was gone.

I found a photo online to show him what it was. I had no idea it's neck was that long...most pictures make it look short and stubby. Your photo of it flying really gives me a feel of what it looks like.

Thanks for sharing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Thanks! If you have any swamps or marshes, that's where you'll find them.

Some of today's shots~

~Herons!!!-p1930713-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930711-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930700-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930675-version-2.jpg

~Herons!!!-p1930641-version-2.jpg
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Thanks! If you have any swamps or marshes, that's where you'll find them.

Some of today's shots~

Attachment 41472
That definitely looks like quality habitat for them.

Great shots. I especially like the second one.

Hopefully, I will eventually create some quality habitat that attracts them here some...although that means losing critters that also want to make that their home--I guess I'm doing that constantly by creating habitat since even many of the predator species are prey to other predators...and a habitat with our predators would become overrun anyway.

...one more comment after my tangent: I'm glad you are getting out and about and still enjoying your favorite haunts and your photography. How are you healing up?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

In the past week or two, the dread purple loosestrife has come to life and it's sucking the marsh dry fast. . The birds who eat fish will leave now.

I am getting out as well as doing therapy daily. Here is my new arm/shoulder~Herons!!!-image.jpg bone finally started to grow around the screws so my therapy is progressing. I've been told it will be 6-12 months recovery. Until this past week, I was limited to using the trackpad with my left hand but just this week I've gotten my arm onto my desk and table.

Man-made Ponds and lakes that get hay around the edges so things can grab on and grow are more attractive to wildlife and creating a natural habitat. Others just look like holes in the ground years later.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

Great to hear about your recovery Sage. I'm glad that you are improving. Hang in there. Nice to have you back.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
In the past week or two, the dread purple loosestrife has come to life and it's sucking the marsh dry fast. . The birds who eat fish will leave now.

I am getting out as well as doing therapy daily. Here is my new arm/shoulderAttachment 41495 bone finally started to grow around the screws so my therapy is progressing. I've been told it will be 6-12 months recovery. Until this past week, I was limited to using the trackpad with my left hand but just this week I've gotten my arm onto my desk and table.

Man-made Ponds and lakes that get hay around the edges so things can grab on and grow are more attractive to wildlife and creating a natural habitat. Others just look like holes in the ground years later.
That is another good reason to hate purple loosestrife.

Wow. I wasn't expecting the X-ray...I opened it after reading the first sentence. I couldn't figure out what it was from the thumbnail. Glad to hear that you are improving.

Yes, ponds with native vegetation definitely benefit wildlife better than a hole in the ground. I hate to see ponds mowed up to the waters edge.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #8

~Herons!!!-image.jpg a bit breezy at Montezuma swamps
Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ah HA! My where's waldo guess was.... right on the money!
Your last little fella-gal looks cold all hunched like it is.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Attachment 41556 a bit breezy at Montezuma swamps
Nice shot. ~smile~

Tags
green heron, heron, herons