Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Dang! There it goes again with the upside down photo. I have a program that quickly lets me rotate the canvas, but that tool stopped working and it is a pain to go through this other program. I think I have to reinstall the first to get that feature going again--it always tells me that I need to select the photo first (even though I have a photo selected)...sigh...I love technology--when it actually works.
Bird I.D. Requested-transform-image.jpg
I am using GIMP for these things, free and open source. Highly recommend it. Also can do auto color leveling for photos, compression, resizing.
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Attachment 41494
I am using GIMP for these things, free and open source. Highly recommend it. Also can do auto color leveling for photos, compression, resizing.
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Thanks, rockerBOO.

That looks like something along the lines of Adobe Photoshop.

I'll definitely check it out.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #13

Looking back at your screen capture, it doesn't look like it lets me do an arbitrary angle of my choice. Oh well, that is for another project I have in mind anyway.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Looking back at your screen capture, it doesn't look like it lets me do an arbitrary angle of my choice. Oh well, that is for another project I have in mind anyway.
There is a tool that will to rotate to any angle, but images are always rectangle. This is why the image transformation is at concrete angles.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
Grub

That yellow bird is definitely a yellow warbler - an adult male from the rusty streaks on the breast.

No idea about the nest. I'm good but not that good.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Salamander

Bummer... your nest looks similar a mystery nest I found last fall. It was blown out of a tree after a storm, or the Blackles' abuse. I have sent these photos to the "experts", scoured through our field guide of nests.... nothing. So as annoying as it is, I've just had to resign myself that it is just Unknown.

No, we didn't keep this, but it was taken back outside to be reused as nature saw fit. Some years ago, we had a small nest collection, but found out it is illegal to keep them without a permit. After that, we learned birds will recycle nests, not often directly reusing them, but other bird species will take the nesting materials to build their own nests with. Though we did have one Robin pair touch up their last year's nest and have another brood in it this year. It must've survived the elements pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Bird I.D. Requested-nest2.jpg   Bird I.D. Requested-whosenest.jpg  
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Heron

I read in a birding magazine about a hummingbird dismantling/ rebuilding it's nest from one location to another. The eggs were then laid and the young grew up to be healthy adults
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
That yellow bird is definitely a yellow warbler - an adult male from the rusty streaks on the breast.
Cool.

Although I didn't get a great look at the yellow bird that nested here, I did assume it was likely the yellow warbler I'd seen years before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post

No idea about the nest. I'm good but not that good.
Smile. LOL!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
Bummer... your nest looks similar a mystery nest I found last fall. It was blown out of a tree after a storm, or the Blackles' abuse. I have sent these photos to the "experts", scoured through our field guide of nests.... nothing. So as annoying as it is, I've just had to resign myself that it is just Unknown.

No, we didn't keep this, but it was taken back outside to be reused as nature saw fit. Some years ago, we had a small nest collection, but found out it is illegal to keep them without a permit. After that, we learned birds will recycle nests, not often directly reusing them, but other bird species will take the nesting materials to build their own nests with. Though we did have one Robin pair touch up their last year's nest and have another brood in it this year. It must've survived the elements pretty well.
Cool pictures.

What are "Blackles"?

I don't have a nest collection, but I didn't know they were illegal.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
I read in a birding magazine about a hummingbird dismantling/ rebuilding it's nest from one location to another. The eggs were then laid and the young grew up to be healthy adults
Very interesting.

How cool is that!

Tags
bird, requested