Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Heron
 
rockerBOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lower Pioneer Valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Dang! There it goes again with the upside down photo. I have a program that quickly lets me rotate the canvas, but that tool stopped working and it is a pain to go through this other program. I think I have to reinstall the first to get that feature going again--it always tells me that I need to select the photo first (even though I have a photo selected)...sigh...I love technology--when it actually works.
Bird I.D. Requested-transform-image.jpg
I am using GIMP for these things, free and open source. Highly recommend it. Also can do auto color leveling for photos, compression, resizing.
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
__________________
Rebuilt Backyard - Photoblog of progress in my backyard.
Flickr Photo Group - Share your photos with us on Flickr
Ecogarden Design - Design your garden right in the browser
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Attachment 41494
I am using GIMP for these things, free and open source. Highly recommend it. Also can do auto color leveling for photos, compression, resizing.
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Thanks, rockerBOO.

That looks like something along the lines of Adobe Photoshop.

I'll definitely check it out.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Looking back at your screen capture, it doesn't look like it lets me do an arbitrary angle of my choice. Oh well, that is for another project I have in mind anyway.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Heron
 
rockerBOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lower Pioneer Valley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Looking back at your screen capture, it doesn't look like it lets me do an arbitrary angle of my choice. Oh well, that is for another project I have in mind anyway.
There is a tool that will to rotate to any angle, but images are always rectangle. This is why the image transformation is at concrete angles.
__________________
Rebuilt Backyard - Photoblog of progress in my backyard.
Flickr Photo Group - Share your photos with us on Flickr
Ecogarden Design - Design your garden right in the browser
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
Grub
 
disuhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Burlington, VT
Default

That yellow bird is definitely a yellow warbler - an adult male from the rusty streaks on the breast.

No idea about the nest. I'm good but not that good.
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Salamander
 
Birding Bunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa, USA
Default

Bummer... your nest looks similar a mystery nest I found last fall. It was blown out of a tree after a storm, or the Blackles' abuse. I have sent these photos to the "experts", scoured through our field guide of nests.... nothing. So as annoying as it is, I've just had to resign myself that it is just Unknown.

No, we didn't keep this, but it was taken back outside to be reused as nature saw fit. Some years ago, we had a small nest collection, but found out it is illegal to keep them without a permit. After that, we learned birds will recycle nests, not often directly reusing them, but other bird species will take the nesting materials to build their own nests with. Though we did have one Robin pair touch up their last year's nest and have another brood in it this year. It must've survived the elements pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Bird I.D. Requested-nest2.jpg   Bird I.D. Requested-whosenest.jpg  
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #17
Heron
 
sprucetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan/detroit
Default

I read in a birding magazine about a hummingbird dismantling/ rebuilding it's nest from one location to another. The eggs were then laid and the young grew up to be healthy adults
__________________
Prairie Plants
First year they sleep
Second year they creep
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post
That yellow bird is definitely a yellow warbler - an adult male from the rusty streaks on the breast.
Cool.

Although I didn't get a great look at the yellow bird that nested here, I did assume it was likely the yellow warbler I'd seen years before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disuhan View Post

No idea about the nest. I'm good but not that good.
Smile. LOL!
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birding Bunch View Post
Bummer... your nest looks similar a mystery nest I found last fall. It was blown out of a tree after a storm, or the Blackles' abuse. I have sent these photos to the "experts", scoured through our field guide of nests.... nothing. So as annoying as it is, I've just had to resign myself that it is just Unknown.

No, we didn't keep this, but it was taken back outside to be reused as nature saw fit. Some years ago, we had a small nest collection, but found out it is illegal to keep them without a permit. After that, we learned birds will recycle nests, not often directly reusing them, but other bird species will take the nesting materials to build their own nests with. Though we did have one Robin pair touch up their last year's nest and have another brood in it this year. It must've survived the elements pretty well.
Cool pictures.

What are "Blackles"?

I don't have a nest collection, but I didn't know they were illegal.
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient
 
dapjwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
I read in a birding magazine about a hummingbird dismantling/ rebuilding it's nest from one location to another. The eggs were then laid and the young grew up to be healthy adults
Very interesting.

How cool is that!
__________________
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bird, requested

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2