Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Bluebirds!

I went out mowing the paths through the field today and checked out the bluebirds boxes. One had a bluebird nest started and another had a complete nest and an egg! I was surprised by that, it's early and the winter has been longer than usual. The third box had a nest of moss lined with feathers, possibly a chickadee nest.

Happy day!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Alternate POM Judge

That's wonderful linrose. Let us know how the bluebirds do.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations, linrose. Good to hear.

If you think yours are early, I should say mine must be too--although I hadn't thought they were (it is April already, even if the weather hasn't seemed like it much). There is a fully built nest (I'd been watching the progress for a while)...but no eggs yet (I checked about an hour or so ago).

Now this should be enough to get us thinking spring!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

We are starting a new bluebird trail on a state of Delaware property near Bombay Hook. Some Eagle Scouts will make the boxes. I already manage another bluebird trails. I have 2 volunteers so we take turns checking them every week. Now I need to find volunteers to help with the new trail. We normally fledge about 25 bluebirds a season at the current trail.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

So true dap, I looked back in my journals and found we had 4 eggs by April 9th one year, and two eggs on April 13 another year. I haven't been consistent in my reporting. It seems like we just came out of winter. I barely even saw the bluebirds all winter and still have yet to see them now that spring is here, I'll start looking out for them now.

EllenW, wow that's terrific! Fledging 25 bluebirds a season is a real success! How many boxes are on the trail? Good luck on the new trail and with getting volunteers. Do you use predator guards on the poles to keep critters away? We do because we learned the hard way. Fortunately we don't have HOSPs here so we don't use sparrow spookers or need traps. Cowbirds are sometimes a problem but we relocated one box that was too near the woodland edge and attracted cowbirds every year.

I haven't provided mealworms for the bluebirds in the past but I have considered it. I bought a feeder with two small holes in each end to use for mealworms and fruit and tried fruit in it one year with no results. Jason really doesn't like the idea of mealworms in the refrigerator next to the lettuce! It's no biggie to me though.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

We have 15 boxes on our bluebird trail. We make predator guards from ratwire. We form a tunnel with the ratwire in front of the entrance hole. It keeps out snakes and raccoons.
I haven't tried mealworms at home. I put out bluebird nuggets this winter but didn't have any bluebirds. I don't have many bluebirds at home due to the house sparrow problem. I'm working on that.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
We are starting a new bluebird trail on a state of Delaware property near Bombay Hook. Some Eagle Scouts will make the boxes. I already manage another bluebird trails. I have 2 volunteers so we take turns checking them every week. Now I need to find volunteers to help with the new trail. We normally fledge about 25 bluebirds a season at the current trail.
Jeff and I were at Bombay Hook years ago, while vacationing at Rehobeth Beach. Now that it is even closer, we should go back some time...but I still want to explore New England. We'll see. Maybe we can do both one of these days.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

I'm not consistent either, linrose. If not for my blog, I'd gave no idea about the dates of things. Over the years, I hope to learn more about what to expect and when to expect things.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #9

Great job, Ellen!

Can you get us a picture of the rat wire guards you create?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Jeff and I were at Bombay Hook years ago, while vacationing at Rehobeth Beach. Now that it is even closer, we should go back some time...but I still want to explore New England. We'll see. Maybe we can do both one of these days.
ok Dap let me know if you get to Bombay Hook. Maybe I can join you and Jeff.

Tags
bluebirds