Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
Salamander

No hummingbirds for me yet....they'd have to figure out how to chisel the ice off any any available food source!

Quiet

P.S. Must be exciting for the rest of you to be seeing them now!
Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
WG Staff

Nothing in the Northeast yet either.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

Nothing in the midwest either. Soon, very soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
A Bee's Best Friend

8 species by April first. How wonderful to live in an area with so many of these little creatures. Their beauty,size and constant motion enthrall us all.
The only hummer to ever visit here in Chicago land is the Ruby-throated hummingbird.
I knew there were several more out west but was astonished at the listing of 48 other hummers in North america,at the Operation Ruby-throat,Hilton Pond.
Hummingbirds: Other Hummingbird Species

I like their motto...
Quote:
Building Environmental Cooperation and Understanding
Throughout North and Central America
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

He has a great site doesn't he?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
WG Staff

Do I sense some hummingbird envy going on here?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
Grub

I can't wait till they show up here in the next week or two. of course they are predicting snow showers next week after the 2nd cold front passes Sunday night. But alas i am ready, the nector is made and awaiting the return of non freezing night time temps, the feeders are clean and ready to go.

and today i was looking up in my Green Ash tree and saw an old Hummingbird nest. do they ever reuse them? Well made and so tiny, but it figures that they were always flitting about that area of the tree when i moved in last summer.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
Unicellular Fungi

Have you ever noticed the condition of those little nests by the end of the season? Most of those little nests take a beating from the elements. I don't know if they reuse them or not. I would think not but some of them do seem to nest in the same spot the next year.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Have you ever noticed the condition of those little nests by the end of the season? Most of those little nests take a beating from the elements. I don't know if they reuse them or not. I would think not but some of them do seem to nest in the same spot the next year.

Life here is an on going quest for knowledge and my limited knowledge of hummers is certainly no different. The nest I saw was still in remarkable condition, and the winters are not really bad-I mean no damaging ice storms or snow storms, just cold temps and rain mostly. Am hoping the little hummer show up soon and then I can observe if they reuse or not!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

I keep forgetting not everyone is from the same area as me. You probably have much milder weather in TN.

Tags
hummers, species, today