Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #81
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Wow, linrose...you are a bird magnet. At least you have stories to tell and photos from the experience.

Is that flowering dogwood (not in bloom, but Cornus florida) outside the window in the first photo?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #82
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Yes it is flowering dogwood "eagle-eye" dap! How you could tell looking through that dirty window out of focus is beyond me!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Yes it is flowering dogwood "eagle-eye" dap! How you could tell looking through that dirty window out of focus is beyond me!
~smile~. I like that "eagle-eye"...not the first time I was called that--first time was wen I was in 2nd grade and the teacher called me that. It always strikes me because I'm legally blinding one eye...and wear glasses to correct the "good" eye.

I recognized the buds and the shape if the branches. The window looks beautiful, just out of focus...no one would've known it was dirty if you didn't say.

~smile~

I knew you had them in the field, but it is nice to have dogwoods near the house so you can enjoy them (and the birds they attract) up close.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #84
Heron

I took a little drive today to see a White winged scoter that has been reported in the tail waters of a dam nearby. He was still there lucky me No pictures though left the camera on the counter

White-winged Scoter, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #85

A camera - never leave home without one!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #86
Heron

Dark morph snow goose among the Canada geese
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040660.jpg
Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Dark morph snow goose among the Canada geese
Attachment 40214
Cool! I doubt I'd have noticed had you not mentioned it...and I'm sure I'd not have known what it was. Nice shot.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #88
Heron

Thanks Dap. I missed it the first time myself I didn't see it until my second pass with the binocs.

Here's another one! Bufflehead drake with some mallards in the background.
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040658.jpg
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Here's another one! Bufflehead drake with some mallards in the background.
Attachment 40215
Very cool.

(I really don't know my ducks...aside from mallards and possibly pintails.)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #90

Very nice photos of waterfowl recurve, where do you take them, near the dam? I should go over to Barren River Lake sometime soon to see what's there. I tried to see the sandhill cranes there on their northward migration in the past but never had any luck.

With our latest warm spell some insects were about and the red-bellied woodpeckers are coming to the feeders less often and are staying in the woods. I always know when they are around because of their loud trilling call.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-red-bellied-woodpecker.jpg  

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today