Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #71
WG Fundraising Coordinator

It's starting to get out of the deep freeze here. Late afternoon visitors are cardinals and white breasted nuthatches.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-cardinal.jpg   Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-white-breasted-nuthatch.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #72
Heron

This afternoon I saw a beautiful canvasback in one of the few spots of open water on the river near my home. And wouldn't you know no camera
Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #73
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
And I worry that it will be 6 tonight with a wind chill of 0. Brrr indeed! Makes me feel sorry for the birds. How do they keep their feet from freezing?
Counter-current circulation
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #74
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Counter-current circulation
~smile~

It is great to have someone knowledgeable on such topics here on the forum. I did a quick search to get a better understanding...but after barely glancing at it, I've moved on to why I came here in the first place.

Gonna post a pic.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #75

Default ID please :)

While doing the GBBC | Great Backyard Bird Count today (among a whole lot of other things--including shoveling MORE snow), I spotted a hawk! Actually, I had moved on to other tasks, when the sound of crows cawing caught my attention...and after spotting the crows harassing the hawk, I sat down to do another bird count so I could include these new-comers!

I'm lousy with IDs, so, can anyone help? Thanks.

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-dsc08514-crop.jpg

I had to include these shots too...I just thought it was cool to see the interaction. I was surprised to see the songbirds continued to feed the whole time.

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-vertical-crop-crows-hawk.jpg

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-dsc08518-vertical-crop.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #76
Heron

It's hard to give a positive ID from those photos but it looks like a dark red-tailed hawk. If you want to include it in your GBBC count I believe there is a box for Bueto sp. Nice pics by the way Dap
Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
It's hard to give a positive ID from those photos but it looks like a dark red-tailed hawk. If you want to include it in your GBBC count I believe there is a box for Bueto sp. Nice pics by the way Dap
Thanks, recurve (for both the ID and the compliment).

I think I can also submit the photo...so I'll let them sort it out!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #78
WG Fundraising Coordinator

It seems that we are a magnet for birds coming indoors, last Friday we had two Carolina wrens trapped in the garage for at least a day. It was recycling day and we opened the garage doors to take out the recycling and left it open all day and night. Saturday morning I heard a loud birdsong coming from the garage and there they were poor things. At least they were out of the worst of the cold for the night but they must have been hungry and frightened.

Today the weather is shaping up and it's now 40 degrees going up to 62 so I opened the door in my office ( I don't have windows but I do have a French door that I open on nice days) when a cardinal flew in. He was confused and flew into my bedroom, perching on the window sill. I opened one window in there and took out the screen so he could fly out but he didn't like that option and decided to fly back into my office and perch on the camera bag. Finally he found his way out the door again. I really need to install a screen door there so I can enjoy the fresh air and the birds can't get in, and insects once it gets warmer.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-cardinal3.jpg   Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-cardinal2.jpg   Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-cardinal.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #79
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Jeese, Here I was thinking you had some pretty fancy curtains in your garage until I continued reading on. They're sure nice looking birds.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #80
Heron

Nice Pictures linrose; A red cardinal on a camera bag makes for great pictures
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today