Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #41
Heron

Here's a few from the past few snowy days.
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040580.jpg

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040583.jpg

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-p1040572.jpg
Old 01-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #42
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Whoops, What I was calling a locust tree is actually a mountain ash. One of their food sources!
I'll have to take a look through the binoculars. Maybe I'm just not seeing them feed with the naked eye.
Good to hear that you have one of their food sources--that is likely what is attracting them. Sorry you worried so much--you are a kind soul.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
So just use those binoculars, and save your fingers and toes.
~smile~
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Here's a few from the past few snowy days.
Attachment 40059

Attachment 40060

Attachment 40061
Nice variety you are getting there, recurve.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #45
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Whew.... Hopefully the robins will continue to make it on their own then. That is if the HAWK I saw out there this morning doesn't pick them off one by one. Wouldn't you know it....That's the first Hawk I've seen since 2011 Hope he hasn't noticed the easy pickings......

I have not yet gone out to see if the robins found the berries by the creek. I took a run with the hubby today so I'll check on that just for the heck of it tomorrow.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
Fox

Mourning doves are regulars at our feeders each winter. This is about one half of the flock that stops in a couple times each day.

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-doves_1.jpg

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-doves_2.jpg

When the mourning doves leave a little room the goldfinches and their buddies stop in for a meal.

Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-goldfinches_and_others.jpg
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #47
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Beautiful hawk recurve! So many doves NEWisc!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #48

I think this is a brown thrasher with the yellow eyes, long downturned bill and streaked breast. We are at the very tippy top of their winter range, I'm surprised to see them here now. We did have them this fall, enjoying the beautyberry fruit. This one looks sad and freezing! It's 16 degrees out there now. Sorry for the bad photos, they were taken through the dirty kitchen window and screen - I never did get around to washing the windows this past fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-bird.jpg   Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-bird2.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #49

I've also been seeing a mockingbird coming to drink from the saucer of water I've been trying to keep from freezing. Such a dapper looking bird.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Mourning doves are regulars at our feeders each winter. This is about one half of the flock that stops in a couple times each day.
You have quite a large flock if that is half of them. I get a little less than half of your half, I'd say...if that. Usually I don't see them all at once, but last week I was walking a path near the property line, and I startled a rather large flock...so, maybe I have more than I realize around here.

I'm starting to see a few more goldfinches now too...I'm hoping in the coming years our yard will become more and more attractive to both species (and a whole lot more) as I develop the yard into a more fully functional habitat. I could see a larger flock of goldfinches once my native meadow is established--I can't wait to see what other birds are attracted to it.

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today