Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #231
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseynet View Post
Put the feeder on the window, right above my Cardinal flowers and my (currently ripe) red currants.
Nice shot, casey! I have to chuckle, though. When I first read your post I thought it said "ripe curtains"
Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #232
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I think this may be a young male Summer Tanager. He's been attacking my upstairs window all day at his reflection.
Beautiful photo, linrose. The look on his face says he's about had it with that other guy that he keeps trying to chase away.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #233
Hippie Gardener

Oriole Update: We have had two or maybe three juvenile orioles hanging around for a couple of weeks now. I try every spring with the oranges and grape jelly and get no takers. This is the second year that we've had the juveniles in late June. I'm guessing they are fledglings from nests at a park roughly a quarter mile from our house. We see orioles there on a regular basis. Guess I'll keep trying in the spring but make a note to be ready for the youngsters in June/July.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #234
Lungwort

finch Mr. (and Mrs.) Finch

Shot thru the blinds. I have had six before, only five today.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Birds Including Raptors & Hummers) ~ 2014-22393733774_dedcbe75dd_o.jpg  
caseynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #235
Heron

The geese are flying south and the robins left too.

We had wind gusts to 50mph and I feed the birds but on this windy day I saw a Hawk sitting on a rock in my rock garden.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #236
Hippie Gardener

We had three or four white-throated sparrows for a couple of weeks, but they seem to have moved on now. Haven't seen them in a few days. The red-bellied woodpeckers are frequenting the peanut feeders again. They are here year-round but seem to stick mostly to the trees and bugs in the summer. I've seen a couple of hairy woodpeckers - we usually only see downy's in the summer. And....the juncos have arrived. A sure sign that snow is not far behind them!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #237
Offical Silphium Abuser

I love juncos--but hope they hold off for a few more weeks.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #238
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
We had three or four white-throated sparrows for a couple of weeks, but they seem to have moved on now. Haven't seen them in a few days. The red-bellied woodpeckers are frequenting the peanut feeders again. They are here year-round but seem to stick mostly to the trees and bugs in the summer. I've seen a couple of hairy woodpeckers - we usually only see downy's in the summer. And....the juncos have arrived. A sure sign that snow is not far behind them!
Do white throats ever stay there in the winter kat or do they just pass through? We have them here all winter. Love their song. What is a peanut feeder? That sounds interesting. I had a feeder for the woodpeckers that you fill with nuts. It had holes in the sides and wood for the woodpeckers to cling to. I don't see red bellies very often in the summer either.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #239
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I only have white throated sparrow in the winter here in NC, and they are not here yet. No juncos at my feeders yet either. Migration is late this year, at least in y Chapel Hill experience.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #240
Alternate POM Judge

Juncos and white throated sparrows have been here for about 2 weeks. A benefit of winter

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today