Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #111
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Do you know how smells, tastes, sounds imprint on your brain when you are young?
I've also the red wing blackbird imprint.
We lived in the city, but within the city, was a park, well maybe not so much of a park per say but it had an undeveloped area due to it's wet boggy-ness.

With the spring thaw, came the birds...We trod that area regular looking for nests filled with wobble heads and gaping beaks. Each time, we were met with the red wing call. Sometimes mellow and sweet, sometimes very loud and more raucous. The more louder and harsh their call, the nearer to their nest we must be. We became quite good at locating them and once found, we could check upon their daily development.

We instinctively knew just about when the tadpoles were to arrive. With buckets and nets in hand we'd gather... all the while, a whooping and a hollering with each successful scoop. Snails, bits of wood, pieces of weeds and leaves filled the buckets of tannin stained pole filled water. As they turned into tiny little toads and frogs they were brought back and released. It was our secret spot. We were very careful not to go in whenever anyone else was in sight...We didn't want our bit of the forest within the city spoiled.
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #112
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

The GEESE are back. The first two are sitting out on the ice surveying their future nesting sight!
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #113
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

I love your story, Havalotta! Thanks for sharing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I've also the red wing blackbird imprint.
We lived in the city, but within the city, was a park, well maybe not so much of a park per say but it had an undeveloped area due to it's wet boggy-ness.

With the spring thaw, came the birds...We trod that area regular looking for nests filled with wobble heads and gaping beaks. Each time, we were met with the red wing call. Sometimes mellow and sweet, sometimes very loud and more raucous. The more louder and harsh their call, the nearer to their nest we must be. We became quite good at locating them and once found, we could check upon their daily development.

We instinctively knew just about when the tadpoles were to arrive. With buckets and nets in hand we'd gather... all the while, a whooping and a hollering with each successful scoop. Snails, bits of wood, pieces of weeds and leaves filled the buckets of tannin stained pole filled water. As they turned into tiny little toads and frogs they were brought back and released. It was our secret spot. We were very careful not to go in whenever anyone else was in sight...We didn't want our bit of the forest within the city spoiled.
__________________
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #114
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire
 
bridget1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ventnor City, New Jersey, USA
Default

We have a pair that nests in a swamp near our school every year. I have been watching this pair for going on 20 years. I really don't know how long they can live in the wild, so I don't know if it is the original pair or their children. They always seem to announce themselves with very loud honking. As they land in the field, they seem to be announcing, "We are here! We are here!" I oftentimes wonder where they overwinter and am amazed that they find our small field every spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
The GEESE are back. The first two are sitting out on the ice surveying their future nesting sight!
__________________
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." ~Hans Christian Anderson

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #115
Alternate POM Judge
 
EllenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

I heard a bird singing this morning. I expected to see a mockingbird or a catbird. It was a brown thrasher. I didn't realise that they are in the same family. I have never heard one singing before. What a wonderful way to start the day.
__________________
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. Aristotle
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #116
WG Fundraising Coordinator
 
linrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kentucky
Default

How wonderful Ellen W! I can't wait to see them again here.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #117
Alternate POM Judge
 
EllenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

I saw the brown thrasher singing again this evening high in the top of a tree. So many wonderful things going on it seems by the minute now with the weather so warm. The temps are supposed to drop from the 70's to the low 60's in a few days. The warm weather has really made things come alive.
__________________
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. Aristotle
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #118
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
I heard a bird singing this morning. I expected to see a mockingbird or a catbird. It was a brown thrasher. I have never heard one singing before. What a wonderful way to start the day.
Well good for YOU!!!
I'm looking forward to Spring. I hope to see the brown thrashers return.
Bet you had no problem hearing THAT one! eNature: FieldGuides: Search Results

We're sitting at 28 degrees right now and going down, down, down to 15 tonight!
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #119
WG Fundraising Coordinator
 
linrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kentucky
Default

I just saw our first brown thrasher today. Hooray!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #120
Alternate POM Judge
 
EllenW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Default

yeah linrose. I love brown thrashers!
__________________
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous. Aristotle
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2