Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #111
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Do you know how smells, tastes, sounds imprint on your brain when you are young?
I've also the red wing blackbird imprint.
We lived in the city, but within the city, was a park, well maybe not so much of a park per say but it had an undeveloped area due to it's wet boggy-ness.

With the spring thaw, came the birds...We trod that area regular looking for nests filled with wobble heads and gaping beaks. Each time, we were met with the red wing call. Sometimes mellow and sweet, sometimes very loud and more raucous. The more louder and harsh their call, the nearer to their nest we must be. We became quite good at locating them and once found, we could check upon their daily development.

We instinctively knew just about when the tadpoles were to arrive. With buckets and nets in hand we'd gather... all the while, a whooping and a hollering with each successful scoop. Snails, bits of wood, pieces of weeds and leaves filled the buckets of tannin stained pole filled water. As they turned into tiny little toads and frogs they were brought back and released. It was our secret spot. We were very careful not to go in whenever anyone else was in sight...We didn't want our bit of the forest within the city spoiled.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #112

The GEESE are back. The first two are sitting out on the ice surveying their future nesting sight!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #113
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I love your story, Havalotta! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I've also the red wing blackbird imprint.
We lived in the city, but within the city, was a park, well maybe not so much of a park per say but it had an undeveloped area due to it's wet boggy-ness.

With the spring thaw, came the birds...We trod that area regular looking for nests filled with wobble heads and gaping beaks. Each time, we were met with the red wing call. Sometimes mellow and sweet, sometimes very loud and more raucous. The more louder and harsh their call, the nearer to their nest we must be. We became quite good at locating them and once found, we could check upon their daily development.

We instinctively knew just about when the tadpoles were to arrive. With buckets and nets in hand we'd gather... all the while, a whooping and a hollering with each successful scoop. Snails, bits of wood, pieces of weeds and leaves filled the buckets of tannin stained pole filled water. As they turned into tiny little toads and frogs they were brought back and released. It was our secret spot. We were very careful not to go in whenever anyone else was in sight...We didn't want our bit of the forest within the city spoiled.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #114
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

We have a pair that nests in a swamp near our school every year. I have been watching this pair for going on 20 years. I really don't know how long they can live in the wild, so I don't know if it is the original pair or their children. They always seem to announce themselves with very loud honking. As they land in the field, they seem to be announcing, "We are here! We are here!" I oftentimes wonder where they overwinter and am amazed that they find our small field every spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
The GEESE are back. The first two are sitting out on the ice surveying their future nesting sight!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #115
Alternate POM Judge

I heard a bird singing this morning. I expected to see a mockingbird or a catbird. It was a brown thrasher. I didn't realise that they are in the same family. I have never heard one singing before. What a wonderful way to start the day.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #116
WG Fundraising Coordinator

How wonderful Ellen W! I can't wait to see them again here.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #117
Alternate POM Judge

I saw the brown thrasher singing again this evening high in the top of a tree. So many wonderful things going on it seems by the minute now with the weather so warm. The temps are supposed to drop from the 70's to the low 60's in a few days. The warm weather has really made things come alive.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #118

Quote:
I heard a bird singing this morning. I expected to see a mockingbird or a catbird. It was a brown thrasher. I have never heard one singing before. What a wonderful way to start the day.
Well good for YOU!!!
I'm looking forward to Spring. I hope to see the brown thrashers return.
Bet you had no problem hearing THAT one! eNature: FieldGuides: Search Results

We're sitting at 28 degrees right now and going down, down, down to 15 tonight!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #119
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I just saw our first brown thrasher today. Hooray!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #120
Alternate POM Judge

yeah linrose. I love brown thrashers!

Tags
2014, birds, hummers, including, raptors, today