Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Offical Silphium Abuser

Default Where are the birds?

This blog entry by Jim McCormac at Ohio Birds and Biodiversity addresses the question of why some people are seeing fewer birds at their feeders. (It's good news--who knew that tulip trees in Ohio are having a mast year?)

Bird food: It doesn't just come in bags - Ohio Birds and Biodiversity

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

It's a great article, Rebek, with great photos. Thanks for posting it. I didn't know that cardinals snacked on tulip trees or that bluebirds ate red cedar cones.

I haven't noticed any dearth of birds at my feeders this year, except that I have no pine siskins or red breasted nuthatches that were abundant last year. They wax and wane though, coming this far south about 1/3 years.

I am not going to go out and plant poison ivy, no matter what it says! I am hoping Virginia creeper does much the same. I know it gets berries on it. I have planted a bunch of cuttings in the past few yars and it is doing well. I think I need some staghorn sumac, though. I should look up if it grows this far south, since I don't think I have ever seen it around here. We have winged sumac, but its fruit cluster isn't nearly so cool looking!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Heron

That is a good article! I'm surprised they got 28 yellow rumped warblers on the christmas bird count. I'm also missing the pine siskins and red breasted nuthatches at my feeder this year I was so happy the were here last year they were both a first for my backyard.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I had no idea that tulip tree provided seeds for birds! Yay!

I planted it with hummingbirds in mind.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 01-14-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Letterman adds an "M" to "ind" changing it back to " mind" again!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I have seen the cardinals working out the tulip tree seeds that have fallen and wedged into the cracks of the deck. I'll have to watch for them in the treetops now.

We don't have any red-breasted nuthatches here either this year for the first time.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

i've been hoping to see a red breasted nuthatch as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Heron

I have a red cedar next to my driveway that is just loaded down with cones this year. There has been a Northern mockingbird hanging out in it for weeks eating the cones. I just spent the last hour watching him defend his bounty from several marauding blue jays up to three at a time. Me thinks I need to plant more species that hold berries through the winter.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Heron

There are still a lot of cones left on my cedar despite the mockingbird camping out on it. I just hope the starlings don't find it.
Where are the birds?-p1040553.jpg

Where are the birds?-p1040555.jpg
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I have a red cedar next to my driveway that is just loaded down with cones this year. There has been a Northern mockingbird hanging out in it for weeks eating the cones. I just spent the last hour watching him defend his bounty from several marauding blue jays up to three at a time.
How cool!

I wouldn't mind planting some red cedar--especially for bluebirds--but I think I read that they shouldn't be planted near apple trees because they cause rust. I'm still hoping to grow Fuji apples as they are our all-time favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Me thinks I need to plant more species that hold berries through the winter.
You and me both! I've been wanting to do that for years and, I should at least have winterberry berries by now, but I think only one of the five I put in survived...they were bare root seedlings that I put in the first or second year...back when I didn't protect things from deer and rabbits and didn't coddle them (or mollycoddle them ).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I have seen the cardinals working out the tulip tree seeds that have fallen and wedged into the cracks of the deck. I'll have to watch for them in the treetops now.
I've never had an opportunity to observe tulip trees each season of the year. Once mine is mature enough to bloom and go to seed that will change. I'm happy to know that it provides seed...I know it didn't rank too high on Tallamy's list, but now I know (as I suspected) that it has to provide for some species.

Tags
birds