Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Crow kills

This is way too astonishing news to not pass on. How sad.

CROW KILLS

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200 dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.

MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills.

The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger. They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "Truck." Absolutely amazing!

Sorry, I couldn't help it! Please forgive me.:
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Your rotten to the CAH!
And here I was sucking it all up to the bitter end thinking they couldn't rise or lift fast enough before the big WHACK where as a car being smaller they had freedom of flight. YOU-tirdy birdy-YOU!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Heron

thats funny
Old 11-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Fox

Good one!

Knowing the Boston accent, that joke has a special twist in it.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlkmich View Post
Sorry, I couldn't help it! Please forgive me.:
You are forgiven. You had me going until I started the last line. I'm relieved to know that, after all the bad news out there, that this one ended in a laugh.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Grub

I've never actually seen a roadkill crow. I have seen a lot of roadkill gulls, and early this fall I was on a busy road and saw two Snowy Egrets flying from the salt marshes on one side to the marshes on the other side of the road. I could see that one was too low and would get clobbered which it did. I stopped and it was broken but not yet dead so I stopped at the nearest SPCA shelter and they called an animal control person so I could me report it. It was so sad to see that beautiful creature reduced to a heap of mangled soiled feathers in a mere second.

It was in almost exact same place where I got a herring gull. In that case I was more concerned for my windshield than the gull.
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crow, kills