Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Best squirrel-proof feeders

I'm getting a little frustrated trying to provide the birds with sunflower seed and exclude the squirrels at the same time. I've not only battled the squirrels but also raccoons that are even more destructive. Last night they actually tore down a feeder hanging 15 feet up in a tree and dragged it off maybe 25 feet, downed the contents and left it for me to find it in the terrace garden.

My tube feeders have had the plastic chewed out by squirrels so the seed just pours out, the weight-triggered ones are no match for those clever rodents, and the ones with cages around, well they still can stuff their heads in there to get what they want.

Do you have a favorite feeder or just let the birds fend for themselves? I try to provide plants for the birds as well as feeders because I enjoy seeing so many birds here.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Grub

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder | The RollerFeeder

I have two of these feeders and I have not once seen a squirrel successfully get seed from it. Is fun to watch them fall off and they quickly learn to not even bother with it.
The downside for me is that they're expensive, and it took a solid 6 months for the birds to visit the feeders. But they come now and I don't go through seed every day anymore!
disuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Heron

I don't know about the best but Droll Yankee's are the most fun
Old 06-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #4

I love both of them! The Droll Yankees video was so amusing. I'll look into both of these products.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Well now the squirrels seem tame, compared to the two masked marauders that raided our feeders last night, racccoons! I don't usually stay up late but last night I fell asleep on the sofa and woke to see those bandits grabbing handfuls of seed out of the feeder ports. Now I know what tore down the feeder in the first place and dragged it off to the garden. I have to say it was amusing to see them, not 10 feet from our back door just having a feast.

Now what should I do???
Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Salamander

Get smarter than a raccoon. Not easy.

Both of the feeders will work for squirrels.

Coons can't/won't jump. Use strong, thin rope to suspend the feeders high enough to fill. If you don't have a tree, or other method to hang, string the rope from point A to B (like a clothes line) and hang feeders from it. Squirrel proof feeders on coon proof line.

If a coon can get to it, forget it.

Tags
feeders, squirrelproof