Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default Carolina wren

dap - I know you'll appreciate this, the Carolina wrens have tried several nesting areas including a bluebird box, on top of a mud dauber nest in the foyer (what???), and have finally settled on an open nest atop a shrub right in front of our front door not five feet above ground. Two eggs already.

I hate to disturb it as I know the moms are known to abandon nests that are bothered by humans.

Now we need to go out the back door for awhile while the rest of the egg laying and hatching and fledging occurs. Perhaps a month?

No photos cuz I'm afraid of scaring off mom. I think most of the egg laying occurs just after dawn, usually 4-5 in a clutch, and I'm sure mom sits on the eggs at night so if I were to get a photo it would have to be sometime mid-day.

I saw the nest a few weeks ago wondering what was constructing it. It's a pretty good spot and well protected despite its proximity to human traffic.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I bet you are happy to have them so close. Once she is feeding them, do you think you can get in and out without her abandoning them? Maybe it is not worth the risk...I just know that friends of ours have a phoebe nesting in there breezeway not too far from the door, and she seems to be handling their using the door.

I'm hoping you do end up with some photos.

I thought I had a Carolina wren nesting in one of the nest boxes, but I realized just recently that it is a house wren. Sigh, I've seen it flying out of one of the tree swallow's box. I only hope it isn't as destructive as I think it is.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Turns out my wren nest is actually a cardinal nest. Doh! DH actually saw the mom fly out of it yesterday and I saw her and her mate today. The eggs do look similar though!
Attached Thumbnails
Carolina wren-cardinal-nest.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Congratulations on the cardinal nest then! . They have beautiful eggs...I guess I didn't know what cardinal eggs looked like until now.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carolina, wren