Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Default ~Peregrine Falcons 2013~

Buffalo, NY - We have hatches this week! Our UB PEFAS, the new female Dixie and Yankee the dad, had their first hatch this afternoon!

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-dixiehatch.jpg UB freshly hatched

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-falcon-cam-watch-ubs-peregrine-falcon-nest-live-windows-internet-explorer-5112013-54108-pm.jpg Dixie and new eyass

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-falcon-cam-watch-ubs-peregrine-falcon-nest-live-windows-internet-explorer-5112013-53837-pm.jpg First feeding attempted

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-brusselssprouts59.jpg Brussels sprouts from

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-falcons-everyone-peregrine-falcons-cathedral-mozilla-firefox-592013-15953-pm.jpg my favorite international falconcam Falcons for everyone - Peregrine falcons on the cathedral
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

How exciting!!! Dixie and Yankee done good!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

That 2nd photo is a hoot what with her looking at it like it's an alien life form. I keep forgetting they're born white just like vultures are. Really nice photos!!! What did she bring the itty bitty little baby to fill the rumblies in its tummy.... if you know?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

Lib, it could be any kind of bird! Pigeons often the case, but I'll check with UB to see what kind of carcasses they are finding on the ground below and let you know! Actually, I have a web album here of previously seen prey remains!

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-p5130068st.jpg Statler - Obijwa and mama with four 3-day old eyasses

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-163577_610952248915711_1269667471_n.jpg UB - Three hatches and one remaining egg which may hatch today

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-964981_611426638868272_1297378976_o.jpg Central Terminal - 3 hatches as of Saturday

Other hatches at the North Bridge as seen on nest check by Thruway Authority. We may have hatches at Niagara Falls but the parent pefas chose a well hidden spot this year!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

Here is the nestbox at the North Grand Island Bridge, pic taken 5/8 but just received, shows hatching in progress!

~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-264563_612413048769631_759826282_n.jpg
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

That last photo is fantastic. I love the way she's looking right into the camera. Can you tell me why pea gravel is always used in nest boxes? Just curious.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I know, right? She looks like she's saying "Back off Jack!!!" Scary and impressive at the same time.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Lib, they use gravel because Peregrine's natural habitat is cliffs where they can try to make a scrape. They scrape is helpful in keeping the eggs together. As the pefas have become urbanized, they choose ledges, even window sills of high office buildings. When possible, nestboxes are installed, with roofs, gravel for a scrape, perches and what I call a "flight deck", where they can go out and play and wing-flap to build up their muscles. This set-up provides more protection so the eggs won't fall off and the inclement weather isn't so detrimental.

A few years ago, Quest, a female pefa hatch in Rochester, was fitted with a transmitter before she fledged. She was tracked as she roamed around and finally settled in Toronto, on a window ledge of the Harlequin Books office. She mated with Kendall but being new to the game, when she laid the first egg, she probably thought, "What the heck is this?", and she kicked it off the ledge!

She laid another egg, and kicked it off the ledge too! The Canadian-Peregrine Foundation hurried in and put a nestbox on the ledge! Here is the page of the Rochester forum where they realize what happened. CLICK HERE

Here is OUR new pefa mama at UB today ~Peregrine Falcons 2013~-falcon-cam-watch-ubs-peregrine-falcon-nest-live-windows-internet-explorer-5172013-24624-pm.jpg
Old 05-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Pea gravel seems so... "unclifflike" is all. I understand what you're saying though and it is rock. That's a bummer about the eggs going over. I read the thread and can see it happening though. Animals get confused.... just like we do.

Tags
2013, baby chicks, birds, brussels, buffalo, chicks, eyasses, falcon, falcons, hatch, hatched, hatches, hatchlings, peregrine, peregrine chicks, raptors