Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Cool Plant-Bird Database!

I came across this site and thought others here would enjoy it as well: Audubon | Pennsylvania | Bird Habitat

Scroll down and you will see where you can search a particular bird species to find out what trees species support it...or you can search a specific tree and see which birds it supports! I'm really amazed at this and I love when technology can be put to such a use.

One aside...why does this forum exclued hummers? I don't see any forum specifically for all birds. Also, if there is a better forum in which to post this, feel free to move it.

Enjoy!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post

One aside...why does this forum exclued hummers? I don't see any forum specifically for all birds. Also, if there is a better forum in which to post this, feel free to move it.
Good point. The simple answer is that hummers were already included in the Butterflies, Moths, & Hummingbirds forum, thus the bird forum was named Birds other than Hummers so that all the hummingbird posts would be easier to find in the one forum.

But your question addresses an interesting change in perceptions. Back when WG was started most of the information available with respect to hummingbirds concerned nectar feeders and nectar plants. That was more closely associated with butterfly gardening (also nectar centric) than with those things we normally associated with activities to benefit birds.

Tallamy's book changed everything. Now we know that a good supply of uncontaminated insects is at the core of maintaining the vast majority of bird species (including hummingbirds). And host plants are at the core of maintaining moth and butterfly populations. The critical factor of course is food for the young. Thanks to Tallamy we also know that native plants are at the base of it all.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Heron

That is a great site; Pennsylvania certainly put a ton of work into the inter-active tree selection.

Amazing how the pull-down covers so many birds.

I did notice the Audubon sign mounted to the bluebird post~ Nice touch
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhh Dappy!!! That's way cool. They even say we can "Create a "shopping list" of plants based on the birds you'd like to see". Finding that info all at 1 place is really nice.... saves paging through books and wandering around all over the net.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Fox

Nice website Dapjwy! It's good to see that this kind of information is becoming easier to find and use. I've seen a lot of environmentally friendly information coming out of Pennsylvania, it must be enjoyable to have such good sources of local information.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirsium View Post
...Back when WG was started most of the information available with respect to hummingbirds concerned nectar feeders and nectar plants...Tallamy's book changed everything. Now we know that a good supply of uncontaminated insects is at the core of maintaining the vast majority of bird species (including hummingbirds). And host plants are at the core of maintaining moth and butterfly populations. The critical factor of course is food for the young. Thanks to Tallamy we also know that native plants are at the base of it all.
Cirsium,

It is amazing that I've already begun to take that information for granted. Thanks for reminding me just how much his book changed everything. I see the old logic...but, it is nice to know that our host trees support the hummingbirds even if they are not providing nectar.

I am, however, glad that I added some tulip trees to provide nectar for the adults.

I was also surprised to see that apple trees are a nectar source for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
That is a great site; Pennsylvania certainly put a ton of work into the inter-active tree selection.
Finally something to be proud of about PA!

Yes, it is a really great site. I was happy to see that it was from my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ohhhhh Dappy!!! That's way cool. They even say we can "Create a "shopping list" of plants based on the birds you'd like to see". Finding that info all at 1 place is really nice.... saves paging through books and wandering around all over the net.
I knew you, all would appreciate it. I'm so glad I stumbled onto it. It makes me wonder what else is out there that we have yet to find...and what new things will be invented.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Nice website Dapjwy! It's good to see that this kind of information is becoming easier to find and use. I've seen a lot of environmentally friendly information coming out of Pennsylvania, it must be enjoyable to have such good sources of local information.
Yes, it is. I'm looking forward to utilizing it and sharing it with others--it just occurred to me that I should share it with a teacher at work who is interested in planting trees on her property.

I'm glad to hear that Pennsylvania is providing so much environmentally-friendly info. What other sites have you found?

(Maybe this is the wrong place to post it, but I'll share it here so you all can figure out why I said "finally something to be proud of": a week or so ago, Jeff told me that crownvetch was our state flower--and he sent a link to confirm this...well, the fact is, mountain laurel is still our state flower, but they listed crownvetch as the state "beautification plant" or some such nonsense. That really had me bummed out...especially because I'm now battling an ever growing patch of it out in the meadow.)

Tags
birds, cool, database, plantbird, searchfor