Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

I dunno which thread it was where it came up that an internet source stated that robins don't use the same nest over again or I'd post in it but.... this 1st photo is a nest that was used a few times and then this year they built another nest right over the top of the old nest. It's in the crook of a buckthorn I killed about 10 years ago. Instead of taking it down to the ground... I used my chainsaw and trimmed it up a bit then used it as a birdbath stand. Robins have been nesting under the birdbath I put there ever since. Here's this year's babies. There were 4 eggs in that nest but I'm only seeing 3 babies. They're a week or so behind the other babies in the bluebird nest box and ahead of the robins that nested up under the eaves of the roof by the downspout again. The downspout location has been popular too. That's another site that's had nests that were reused. The high winds usually knock down the nests over winter in that site though.
Attached Thumbnails
~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-img_2457.jpg   ~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-img_2458.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #42
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh, Lib, they are adorable!

I was told that I may as well take the previous robin nest down as they would just rip it apart and build another if they wanted to nest in that spot again, so I did. Oh, well. These babies got a brand new nest in a well protected spot. Apparently robins have 2-3 broods a year so it seems they use different spots each time. They like my balcony for their first brood.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #43

My little babies are eating a lot and growing fast, but even so they seem to be all mouth! From just a little fuzzy a few days ago, I saw one spread a wing today! Where did that come from?

~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-p1480034robins.jpg
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #44
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I'm really happy for you, Sage. Thanks for documenting your experience with photos.

You too, Lib. I love both the bluebird box and the old buckthorn--but I think I like the old buckthorn nest the best because you are getting some great use out of your nemesis.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #45
Official Plant Nerd

If it stops raining long enough.... I'll try to get an all mouth shot too. The all mouth shots are by far the best. They're what I think of when I think of baby robins. Your all mouth shot is the best!!!
--
I did that back when I was 1st learning how to use a chainsaw. I did it to a Bradford Pear that came with our house as part of our landscape package too..... ohhhhhh.... that felt so good. I felt like an artist or something. I made the birdbaths that are nestled in the crotches too.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #46

Thumbs up

I got myself so upset I couldn't even post about it! The next morning when I stepped out to get a shot, one of the babies freaked and flew off the nest! It flew to the balcony floor and hopped over to the corner!

Roger went down to the yard in case it actually flew off the balcony, so he could bring it back to the nest.

It flew! It fledged! Luckily the parent was right on top of the situation and led the fledgling to the back tree line. So cute! A short time later I saw a parent fly to one of the trees with some worms, so I knew everything was okay!

I called my wildlife biologist friend who assured me the timing would be alright.

Over the next 24hrs, two other joined in, and successfully fledged. The last baby waited til the following day and fledged about 7:30am. Whew!

A few times since, the daddy robin has flown up to the balcony nest with beak full of worms, to make sure if there were any hungry babies still there. Maybe the parents can't really count well and the babies are moving around more so the parent goes to feed one and it has moved.

~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-p1480402lastfledge13.jpg Last fledge
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
Official Plant Nerd

All's well that ends well!! You did get a nice Kodak moment photo for all your troubles though.
--
I'm pretty sure I've seen mine flitting around. No photos though. It's gotten really hard telling the fledglings from the parents. The only way I know which is which these days is if I see a robin stuffing a worm in another robin's mouth!!! The babies actually look bigger than the parents.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #48

And they may have whitish spots
Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #49
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Lots of bird babies ARE bigger than the parents when they fledge.
The extra weight tides them over while they're hoping and hobbling about learning to eat and fly on their own.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alert, balcony, bird, bird nest, birdhouse, birdnest, birds, cardinals, chicadees, hawk, junco, nest, nesting, nests, news, owl, robin