Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Day 4 ~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-p1460818amronest53.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Heron

This may interest you.
Most Wanted: Find a Funky Nest : The Outdoor Wire
If not for this nest but your such a prolific photographer you my have something different.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #23

On, cool! Today the Mourning Dove pair came up to the balcony and the other Robin came up, one dove flew off and the other robin and the dove duked it out!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

Roger motivated me so..... I went out with my camera and held it up and "tried". I didn'd do too good. I know there are eggs in the robin's nest but.... how many is beyond me. I guess I'll have to wait until the gaping worm holes start stretching their necks up to get fed. The photo I took of the cardinal's nest was even worse.... that 1 would qualify for a "find Waldo" since all you can see is her head down in the lower left hand corner and her tail feathers sticking up. I held the camera up over my head trying and well.... you see what I got. I know she has eggs too. I guess it's wait and see on that nest too. Do cardinal babies react like robin babies when there's movement by their nest and stick their heads up with their beaks open to get fed? Just curious.... I've never had a cardinal's nest this close before. Who knows... maybe I'll get some "baby" photos.
Attached Thumbnails
~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-img_2391.jpg   ~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-img_2390.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #25

I do not see any robin eggs. How is that one side opened? It seems there are branches in front so it cant be against a window...?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

I made those blue bird nesting boxes myself and the HOSPs started using em so I opened em up so no bluebirds would be attracted to them. I figured they were better off taking their chances somewhere else. I started pulling the nest boxes out of the ground and that 1 was left out 2 years ago leaned up against a tree just a few feet away from the shed.... I musta forgot it. A robin nested in it last year and I think the same robin is nesting in it again this year. Anywhooo.... I left it up for last year's robin and forgot to put it away again last year. See what happens!!!! That nest is pretty deep.... I held the camera up as high as I could and that's the best I could get. There definitely were eggs in there but.... there aren't anymore. When I went back outside again this afternoon.... I saw her hopping around gathering goodies and she flew straight back to her nest and I saw at least 2 fuzzy little heads popping up. They must have just hatched this weekend. I have no clue how many there are.... at least 2. Now... I think the cardinal may have nestlings too. I haven't spotted her sitting on her nest at all today. She's probably out and about gathering goodies for her babies too. I know cardinal nestlings eat insects just like robin babies do.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #27

Mine should hatch between Thursday and Sunday! Did I say we even moved the furniture so we won't need to turn on the floor lamp next to the French door and there won't be so much activity there? And now there is nothing near the glass for Cookiecat to lay on.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
WG Operations, Facilitator

Sage...love that you went to all the trouble to move your furniture INSIDE your home to make a better home for a bird that lives OUTSIDE your home.

I'm giggling...because I totally understand your reasoning.
I do things like this all the time to accommodate my critters and wildlife.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #29

Yes, the big chair and lamp were next to the glass and roger sat there every night, lamp on and off, so we pushed the chair over to the table next to the sofa where there is good reading light. The room looks stupid now, but hey, the birdies have to have peace and quiet, right?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #30

Mama robin is fidgety today but she just flew off so we got a peek! Still four eggs with no signs of a pip, but I think she can tell they are about to hatch.

~News Alert!!! Another Robin Nest on my Balcony!-image.jpg

Tags
alert, balcony, bird, bird nest, birdhouse, birdnest, birds, cardinals, chicadees, hawk, junco, nest, nesting, nests, news, owl, robin